Mcculloch Eager Beaver ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rg50

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone ID this saw?
When searching I have found different model numbers starting with 100,110,120....up to 2.0.
Some models also have a black top handle and yellow like mine.
What is the difference between these model numbers?

I have seen a few on Ebay lately for sale.I picked this one up for $25 at a garage sale and put a another $20 for a carb kit.Starts easy and runs good.
Thanks.

DSCN0684.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg

DSCN0683.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh, the ubiquitous Mini-MAC...... Expect some emotional responses here. Too bad on the $45, as someone here would surely have sent you one just to get rid of it. That is an interesting little guy there. Mini's are pretty much hated for the simple fact that you have to "de-shell" the engine to do anything with the carburetor (which they usually need.) When the engine has to be re-installed, the throttle linkage is a REAL treat to re-attach. Many of them have points which also require the engine and flywheel removal to deal with. No spark is the most common thing I have seen on these. It is very possible that more of these saws died due to frustrated mechanics throwing them than any other cause.

There are two kinds of minis: They either run quite well, or not at all.

Generally it is an Eager Beaver 2.0".

I have a saw with the same exact color scheme. The one I have is an Eager Beaver Super Sixteen for the simple reason that it came with a 16" bar. That makes it auckward and will get a 12" soon.

I counted no less that 22 models of the same basic saw, displacement ranging from 29 to 38 cc, all based on the original Mini-Mac design. Most are 32 cc.

Not to be confused with the Eager Beaver 2.0 of the 20XX and 32XX series. Clamshell plastic construction, rear handle.

Handy little fellows but oh soo tedius to tinker on.

I love mine almost as much as my Homelite XL2.

I'm looking for a junk clutch cover I can cut down (muffler guard & chain brake) to save weight.

Last edited:
A little Eager Beaver was the first saw I used. My dad bought it, was back in late 70's early 80's, dont remember exactly. Always had trouble with the oiler! replaced it, still no joy. It sat for years, never seeing much use. I finally tore it apart and trashed it. I saved the engine though, thinking I might convert it for use on a R/C airplane. Well, never did that either, lol
It has a points style ignition. Still have it a drawer. I should take a pic of it. Anyone that wants or needs it is welcome to it. As I recall, it was 2.0 32cc.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks for the info guys!

Well I got pretty good at "de-shelling" and reassembly,not so bad after a few times.

$4 for a carb kit!Where?

I have seen these little guys going for $20-$45 plus shipping on Ebay lately.Seems that most have running issues.

Thanks for the info guys!

Well I got pretty good at "de-shelling" and reassembly,not so bad after a few times.

$4 for a carb kit!Where?

I have seen these little guys going for $20-$45 plus shipping on Ebay lately.Seems that most have running issues.

Yup, that's why when I found one at a pawn shop for $40 that was like new and ran well, I bought it. Someone had filled it with some 16:1 mix and it smoked like :censored:.

I pay $11 for carb kits at Orschlens in south St. Joe.:blob2:

i got that saw too, bought it used for $40.00 from a flea market back in maybe 94 or 95... used it a little put it in the shed, then had some trees taken down, bought a big mcullach and used that. then they both sat for like 8 years or so, one day i took them out, got them both going again and then the newer mac busted the gas line, took it apart, got po'd at it and threw it away... (wish I hadnt now though) but this little puppy...it runs like a champ.. after a good carb cleaning it ran like new. its the saw i use to free up the husky when it gets pinched.. now it will do the same for the Stihl. its also great for light duty work, just wish it had an automatic chain oiler.

The price of the carb kit will depend on which carb you have. If your saw has the Walbro MDC I can get the gasket/diaphragm kits for $3, but they have a $8.99 flat rate shipping charge so it is not cost effective to order just one kit. If your saw has the Zama M1M7 then you can expect to pay $20+ for the same kit, if you can even find one because there are no known aftermarket kits and they have been NLA from Zama for years.

I sold three of these things on ebay not to long ago thinking I was done with them and someone gave me a complete one two weeks ago:msp_sneaky:

The problem with them is they just show up without warning and then you have those that seek them out:msp_scared:

I have the same one.....my father is borrowing it for the time being. I got it from him bout 10yrs ago and it just sat around. He obtained it in the 80's. I finally dug into it 2yrs ago...cleaned it, tuned it,etc.. Great little saw. They respond well to muff mods:D. Wish I hadnt let him borrow it...cause I dont think I'll be getting it back...LOL. Makes a perfect little one hander:greenchainsaw:

They respond well to muff mods:D. :greenchainsaw:

I keep seeing this on other posts as well, what type of Muffler mods are there and what do they do? I ran my Husky for a couple days with no muffler when it just broke off while cutting firewood, it was fine but OMG!!! waaay too loud. It was like a Banshee screaming in my ears! :laugh:

I keep seeing this on other posts as well, what type of Muffler mods are there and what do they do? I ran my Husky for a couple days with no muffler when it just broke off while cutting firewood, it was fine but OMG!!! waaay too loud. It was like a Banshee screaming in my ears! :laugh:

Just widen/lengthen the louvers a tad and open them up a bit.....nothing drastic. Dremel tool with a thin cut-off wheel and a large flat screwdriver is your friend.:laugh:
I typically run screenless too.

If its too loud........youre too old !! LOL

Just widen/lengthen the louvers a tad and open them up a bit.....nothing drastic. Dremel tool with a thin cut-off wheel and a large flat screwdriver is your friend.:laugh:
I typically run screenless too.

What does this do for the saw? does it run better or have some more power?

If its too loud........youre too old !! LOL

Yes... Yes I am... lol except for my music, i love to crank my music!

Mac 110

I have one of these. I've just replaced the diaphragms and gaskets in the carb. Having trouble keeping it running. It will start, not always easily and seems to run strongly for 10 to 30 seconds then dies. I think that I may have set the metering lever a little too low as it seems to have fuel starvation. Hate to pull it apart again!! Although there is a very good youtube demo of taking these down which I found very helpful. One trick that I learned is to remove the throttle latch makes getting the motor back in do-able. Be careful not to loose the tiny spring under the throttle latch!!

Any thoughts welcome!

Regards,

Lee:msp_confused:

What does this do for the saw? does it run better or have some more power?

It will allow the saw to run a little cooler, make RPMs faster and hold the RPMs while in the cut.

I have one of these. I've just replaced the diaphragms and gaskets in the carb. Having trouble keeping it running. It will start, not always easily and seems to run strongly for 10 to 30 seconds then dies. I think that I may have set the metering lever a little too low as it seems to have fuel starvation. Hate to pull it apart again!! Although there is a very good youtube demo of taking these down which I found very helpful. One trick that I learned is to remove the throttle latch makes getting the motor back in do-able. Be careful not to loose the tiny spring under the throttle latch!!

Any thoughts welcome!

Regards,

Lee:msp_confused:
I would suspect the fuel line and/or the fuel filter. Did you replace the fuel line while you were in there?

A little Eager Beaver was the first saw I used. My dad bought it, was back in late 70's early 80's, dont remember exactly. Always had trouble with the oiler! replaced it, still no joy. It sat for years, never seeing much use. I finally tore it apart and trashed it. I saved the engine though, thinking I might convert it for use on a R/C airplane. Well, never did that either, lol
It has a points style ignition. Still have it a drawer. I should take a pic of it. Anyone that wants or needs it is welcome to it. As I recall, it was 2.0 32cc.
:cheers:
Gregg,

i sure could use a spare mine runs just needs another part here and there i would apreciate it.

Latest posts

Back