ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

gumneck

ArboristSite Guru
Got a project to complete prior to Christmas. This saw belongs to my dad and I remember back in the early eighties this saw just would not run right and his frustration with it. Pulled it out of his garage the other day and I'm gonna go through it to see what's the problem and hopefully have it done by Christmas to wrap up. I can't wait to hear which cuss word comes out soon as he unwraps that yellow saw box. Not digging at the brand its just that this saw gave him the speaking in tongue the likes of which a young fella never heard before.

Anyway, pulled plug and has good fire, poured some mix in the cylinder and it fires off nicely. Hoping maybe just some seals need replacing and carb kit. Haven't worked on one of these and have read/seen they aren't the simplest to do but it'll be fun. What I learn with this one, I hope to carry over to a similar sized eager beaver that belonged to an old friend of mine.

Attachments

• mini mac 6 1.jpg
    mini mac 6 1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6
  • mini mac 6 2.jpg
    mini mac 6 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 5
  • mini mac 6 3.jpg
    mini mac 6 3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 6
  • mini mac 6.jpg
    mini mac 6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6

MacAttack

I love the smell of 2-stroke
Got a project to complete prior to Christmas. This saw belongs to my dad and I remember back in the early eighties this saw just would not run right and his frustration with it. Pulled it out of his garage the other day and I'm gonna go through it to see what's the problem and hopefully have it done by Christmas to wrap up. I can't wait to hear which cuss word comes out soon as he unwraps that yellow saw box. Not digging at the brand its just that this saw gave him the speaking in tongue the likes of which a young fella never heard before.

Anyway, pulled plug and has good fire, poured some mix in the cylinder and it fires off nicely. Hoping maybe just some seals need replacing and carb kit. Haven't worked on one of these and have read/seen they aren't the simplest to do but it'll be fun. What I learn with this one, I hope to carry over to a similar sized eager beaver that belonged to an old friend of mine.
Very nice! I have a non-automatic Mini Mac 6 basket case to fix. I have yet to have bad crank seals on a Mini Mac, you probably just need a full carb rebuild. Take my advice and replace the check valve. I've learned the hard way they often need to be replaced in addition to the standard carb kit. I assume your recoil is also not broken?

gumneck

ArboristSite Guru
Very nice! I have a non-automatic Mini Mac 6 basket case to fix. I have yet to have bad crank seals on a Mini Mac, you probably just need a full carb rebuild. Take my advice and replace the check valve. I've learned the hard way they often need to be replaced in addition to the standard carb kit. I assume your recoil is also not broken?
The recoil pulls and retracts fine for just the few pulls I gave it. No odd noises or slipping...

heimannm

Tree Freak
The early Mini Mac saws used the same type of starter pulley, plastic with the metal starter "clutch" molded in place. For a saw that doesn't get used daily you can substitute the newer all plastic pulley and leave the metal starter pawls. If the saw will get a lot of use better to change the pawls to the later plastic ones or just swap the flywheel with a later saw along with the new pulley.

Mark

Mnmacguy

Mnmacguy

ArboristSite Lurker

I sure can relate to your post! I fixed up my Dad's Mini Mac that he had a severe hate for. I got it running after several fixes and learned a lot along the way. It was the saw that started my chainsaw fixing/collecting hobby.

You've come to the right place for help. Several good guys here who are knowledgeable of these saws. Ask any and all questions so they can help limit your frustration.

Two things I would look at are checking the fuel line and rebuilding the carb. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk