Metasequoia glyptostroboides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
I am trying to find out more information concerning the pruning of a Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood). I know about crossing; rubbing; touching; dead; diseased and dying. What I'm more concerned with is appropriate timing in order for the best formation of callus wood prior to the onset of winter. Can anyone shed more light on this for me. I'm thinking late summer, but have had little experience with this tree. Thanks :)

If you keep wounds small then there is no need to worry about best time for wound wood development. the two worst times to prune is after first flush and when the trunk cambium is most slippery.

I cringe when I hear the litteny about crossing/rubbing. We are working to solve problems and many times a small rub could be a solution down the road. Large branches can be stunted so the have less vitality.

My system is to hit the dead, work the tips of the big branches, and then take a look.

As Mike Wendt sais in his classes "find a big problem and try to solve it before going after sprouts and crossing branches". (that's almost verbatim <g>).

too amny people cut out small inner branches that could be released to "fill a hole".

I rant, therfore know I am

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back