Microlite chain ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsjunkie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with 95vp.
The new 2145 that my uncle bought has this chain on it.
it's .325 .050 I think they call it Microlite ?
Anyone have any options on it ?

I've got (well, I bought it for my wife, he-he) a Jons 2149, and have 2 bars: a 20" laminated with that narrow kerf chain, and a plain old 16" replaceable-nose solid bar which I've used regular .325 on.

I have not done any timed cuts to compare, but "feel" says that there is no difference. The longer bar should be slightly slower in a larger diameter stick, but I think the narrow-kerf chain cuts well enough to require a bit less power.

I was surprised, because the 95 chain has a tiny radius on the cutter corner, almost like semi-chisel chain, only not as pronounced.

I've been using the 95vp for about 2 months now. It came standard on the 346xp I got for limbing and small stuff. I was a little weary at first cause I had never seen it before. I can't say that I have any complaints. Bucked up 6 cords of 6 - 10 inch logs with it last Sunday, same chain, no filing. I wouldn't stop using on this saw. I think a lot of the new "high speed" Huskies are coming out with this design. (I could be wrong but I thought I came across something to that effect)

I was considering setting my 026 up with a 18" Micro-Lite bar with the 95 VP chain. Does anyone have experience sharpening this chain? Can you use a standard round file, or is there more to it? Aso - and this is a real nubie question - the chain/bar is listed as having 7-sprocket teeth. My current set-up on the 026 is a 325 063 with a 8 sprocket teeth. Would I have to change the sprocket to run the 95 VP Chain? Sorry for the ignorance.

Steve

Hey Steve,

95vp sharpens with a 3/16 round file. You are going to want to change the sprocket to one with the correct number of teeth or it won't work right. 95 Vp is also an .050 gauge chain as opposed to the.063 set up you have now. I'll let the pros jump in if I've made any mistakes in my advice. Happy cutting.

Hi Guys, I`ve run a few loops of 95vp, and although I don`t have any specific complaints in performance, I will say that there are better chains. I too was leary when I first saw it, with those small cutters and all, but it wasn`t as bad as was expected. I believe that you are seeing alot of new saws coming with it because it is a safety chain. If you run .325 .050 chain, I would recommend 33lg or 20 lp as much faster cutting chains, I know this from first hand experience. One major beef that I have with the 95vp is that it requires a very small file to sharpen and it is still a major PITA to sharpen because the file wants to drag on the back of the depth gauge.

Steve, the 7 tooth sprocket you refer to, is it the drive sprocket or the sprocket nose? As long as both sprockets are for the .325 pitch it doesn`t matter. 8 tooth drive gives you more chain speed than a 7 tooth while sacrificing some torque. The drive sprocket sets your "gear ratio". Your 026 ought to handle this combo(8T, .325) no problem. If not, a new sprocket is cheap. Russ

Ok let me ask this, Can you run 33LG in place of this microlite chain, On same bar with same sprocket?

Yes

Same pitch and gauge. You may not have seen an earlier post by me comparing 34lg, 21lp, and 73lg, which is a pretty aggressive 3/8s chain. What I was trying to show is that 34lg(same as 33lg, only .058) has the smallest cutter of the bunch shown. The 21lp( or 20lp) has a tooth nearly as large as 3/8s lg. The lp chain does have a ramped guard link but because of the larger tooth cuts very fast and is easier in my opinion to maintain. Russ

Hey Woodsjunkie, check out the pics I posted in your earlier post about the best .325 chain.

Thanks Jokers I remember that now
I though memory was suppose to be the second thing we lost !!!

Back