Modding a Huztl MS361- carb problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Stephens

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi ya all. Been reading for quite a while, decided to join and post.

I bought a MS361 kit and a couple extra cylinder kits to try my hand at porting and modding without spending Stihl dollars. All just for the fun of it! I'm on about my fourth iteration of top end builds, and I gotta say I love this saw for a firewood saw. It rocks.

I have a MS440 that was ported by a local shop almost 20 years ago and is my workhorse when logging my place. After all these years with that saw, it still did an admirable job falling, limbing and bucking 25000 MBF of doug and white fir this last spring. I stop at 25 since Idaho state starts charging you commercial taxes and slash inspection fees once you get over 25k. I log my place every couple years and just stop before I get into the tax zone.

Took a 361 big bore piston/cylinder, did some not very radical port work, not changing timing at all. Opened up the muffler with a dual port, added spark arrestor screens to it so I won't burn my world down. Followed my local shop's advice and left compression alone for longevity. This 361 runs pretty darn good. Almost what the heavier 440 does. After doing that, and running it a bunch, it seemed obvious to me the big bore 361 was running out of air. I could get an efficient 13.5k. Then it ran out of fuel and air supply.

So I decided to search out a little more carburetor. Brought in a 440 Farmertech carb, and went to modifying it. Turns out you can swap almost everything over from the smaller 361 Farmertech carb, leaving just the body. Drilled out the intake manifold pulse port on the 440 body so I wouldn't have to reroute the pulse line, swapped over the rods from the 361, had to widen out the flat on the choke rod for the bigger plate, but the throttle plate rod was fine. Swapping over both top and bottom cover plates for diaphragm and pump literally gave me a 361 configuration with a 440 bore. Those plates are exactly identical except for pulse location and air horn style.

Fired her up. No problemo getting er running. And the top end is holy cow mondo bad mutha powerful! Problem is, can't get the idle down from high 3s or even 4k. I know I don't have an air leak. If I stick the tuned 361 carb back on, I am running good.

The 440 carb throttle plate has a notch in it at the top to clear a bump in the bore. I tried to file the bottom edge to get it to close as tightly as possible, but in the end, I probably have to replace the throttle plate since I basically made the sliver of gap only bigger.

I get the feeling that the amount of air flow is more fully closed than my saw will allow to idle at a more reasonable RPM.

I am going to check all the internals of the carburetor next. Runs so good from 4k on up, I don't imagine I'll find anything. And I am sure it is closing as far as it can before running the top of the plate tight against the bore.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Rick

The 361 runs an HD carb with a smaller bore and different choke/impulse setup.

The swap is easy. Put an 044 boot on it too. Open the muffler (giant pita).

I haven’t tried the 49mm big bore yet. One sitting here. The 47mm oem jug does so well, I don’t see the point.

Check to see if you have your throttle plate in backwards. The top and bottom of the brass plate are tapered to seal off against the aluminum bore of the carburetor. The C shaped hole in the brass plate should line up with the bleed holes in the aluminum casting

Shine a light through the carb bore with the throttle closed and look for gaps. From the pic it looks like there's a large gap on the other side of the plate from the cutout. You may need to move the plate a little or file it.

You could also have leaks around the throttle shaft.

If the metering lever is set too high it'll have that problem. But the thing I'm suspecting is the intake boot being too small for the carbs venturi. It'll pull more air than fuel at low rpm's causing high idle from leanness.
As doc said... 044/440 intake boot. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think you also have to slightly enlarge the carb housing for the larger intake boot flange.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Late last night I did a little more file work on the throttle plate to get it to fully seat. Still a little ways to go. Pulled the needle valve to check for debris, and came to a screeching halt. The manufacturer cross threaded the lever hold down screw. It turns in place. So now I have to find a little longer 3mm screw with a proper head dimension to hold the pin.

On the boot, I modified the carb body to internally connect the pulse port up to match the 361 manifold flange - just so I wouldn't have to reroute the pulse line in the 440 model (dog gone it). I'll have to undo that. But a 440 manifold makes perfect sense.

I have a second Huztl 361 built with mostly stock configuration as a control to test my mods - I did use Hyway boots as the Huztl ones for the 361 suck. Otherwise simple port cleanup and assembly with stock .040 squish on the control saw. So we'll see which runs a few years from now and be able to compare power immediately.

I will be back! Gotta go find a screw. Story of my life it seems.

Check to see if you have your throttle plate in backwards. The top and bottom of the brass plate are tapered to seal off against the aluminum bore of the carburetor. The C shaped hole in the brass plate should line up with the bleed holes in the aluminum casting

I think I have that properly arranged. I been filing in a proper angle. We give Farmertech too much credit thinking they built these throttle plates with an angle, they are simple square cut.

Got it to idle. A little of all of the above. Closely fit the throttle plate, went through the carb, did a little bend job on the tab that the idle screw presses on. Runs very strong, needs a 440 boot.

Pulled this 361 kit saw down again. Ported out the cylinder and piston to make next set of comparisons with the other 361 and my 440.

Checked to see if a 44o manifold would improve airflow. The 440 boot is literally no bigger than the 361 boot. At the cylinder end the 440 boot fits ok. The bulkhead it mounts to at the carburetor end is identical O.D. for the cutout/flange size - although the 361 has the pulse port in with the boot flange. Either flange fits the bulkhead hole identically. If anything, the 361 boot is larger internally than the 440 boot.

I'll let the base sealer cure since I went gasketless and I'll try her out tomorrow. Post another video on the modded work saw thread about 361s.

361 boot on LEFT - 440 boot on RIGHT

boots.jpg

Back