Any suggestions other than a new carb ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding a Walbro K10-HDC carb off my 015 and have run into a snag. This plate will not come out of carb. It must be adhered to the gasket below it. I've tried everything I can think of without destroying the carb without success. Just no way to get under the plate and pop it up. Has this happened to any of you before and if so, how did you get it up ???K10 - HDC.jpg

Never had a HDC circuit plate not come off, but they do get crusty & stuck after 30+ years. Walbro K10-HDC is the carb kit, the carb is likely a HDC-17.

Squirt some PB Blaster solvent in there & let it soak overnight, softens the gasket.

Then put a small screwdriver blade between the plate & body at the top (in your photo) by the inlet needle. It will come up, just be careful & not to snag the metering lever when it releases….clamp it in a soft face vise if you have one.

Frustration set in and I just rebuilt what I could hoping whatever was under that plate was clean. I used carb cleaner best I could and put it together. I must have got lucky because it fires right up now. I'll have to wait until this snow stops Monday 1711308095977.jpegto give it a final tune. It was getting a little smokey in the shop.
Possible 8-12"

Unfortunately, if it does not run right, the problem is a check valve and screen under the plate. No sure where you would get one now, but it did fix a lot of them.
If it does run right, buy a lottery ticket!

So far, so good. I took a chance it would work, and so far it seems I made the right decision. Lots of snow here today so it'll be awhile before I can try and give it a proper tune outside .
If a replacement carb was readily available, I would have gotten more aggressive with it, but I was unable to find one on the net/eBay. Everything I found was rebuild kits. I figured I'd better make the best of this one. That plate is really stuck in there, I bent the tip of my pick trying to pop it up. Better quit while I'm ahead.

Back