ms192t...how to get the limiters off?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04titanse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up a new ms192t from the dealer and I am trying to get it tuned right and its just not running top notch yet. The carb limiters give you very little range of adjustment. I have removed limiters from other stihl saws, but these are different.

Anyone know how to get these damn things off?
I didn't come up with anything while searching that was for this style of limiter cap, just the ones like my ms460. Thanks!!

I was able to trim the limiters with a razor blade, so problem solved. I'll give the saw a test run in the morning.

Brand new out of the box it wasnt running well? Maybe have the dealer check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will see. It was never fueled so they didn't tune it or anything. I'll run it tomorrow and get the tach on it and put a tank of fuel through it. If it doesn't work well I will bring it back.

It should have been fired up before you left. I will say, that I didn't have a single Stihl saw in 2013 that didn't tune correctly right out of the box. However, I send them out at the rich side of the limiter until they run a few tanks through the saw. There is an amazing amount of improvement out of saws after a few tanks of gas. They get a free tune up and inspection after a few tanks if they want it. My personal 192T hit the suggested max RPM with the setting it came with, but it took a couple tanks for it to smooth out where I wanted it to and quit bogging in the cut. When it was all said and done, the max suggested RPM was right where it needed to be. It can be really tough to hear these little saws 4 stroke, though.

I told the guy he didn't need to fuel it up and fire it. I am sure it will run just fine once I get the mixture right.

04 titanse... So how'd you do it? I have a 192T that I did a MM to a few weeks ago and need to richen it up (I think) I def. can't hear a 4-stroke...can you take a pic?

I didn't snap any pictures while doing it but I can describe it for you.

Steps:

1 - remove air filter
2 - remove two carb bolts and then pop out the plastic plate that sits between the air filter and carb
3 - take a small razor and trim off the tabs on the bottom of the H and L screws

The high and low screws have the limiters built in so as far as I can tell they cannot be removed without trimming them. I am not sure how the hell they were installed actually. Only took me 5 minutes once I figured out how to access them.

Update: The saw runs well now that I can adjust the carb. Put a 1/2 tank through it today, throttle response if decent, revs up smoothly and makes good power wide open. Once I get a few tanks through the saw and get it tuned just right I will be able to judge it more accurately. I have never owned a saw this small so I have nothing to compare to. I am sure a muffler mod is in its future. I am running a 14" bar with 3/8 low pro picco stihl chain.

compared to my 346xp its a dog, but that's not a fair comparison at all.

I didn't snap any pictures while doing it but I can describe it for you.

Steps:

1 - remove air filter
2 - remove two carb bolts and then pop out the plastic plate that sits between the air filter and carb
3 - take a small razor and trim off the tabs on the bottom of the H and L screws

The high and low screws have the limiters built in so as far as I can tell they cannot be removed without trimming them. I am not sure how the hell they were installed actually. Only took me 5 minutes once I figured out how to access them.

Update: The saw runs well now that I can adjust the carb. Put a 1/2 tank through it today, throttle response if decent, revs up smoothly and makes good power wide open. Once I get a few tanks through the saw and get it tuned just right I will be able to judge it more accurately. I have never owned a saw this small so I have nothing to compare to. I am sure a muffler mod is in its future. I am running a 14" bar with 3/8 low pro picco stihl chain.

compared to my 346xp its a dog, but that's not a fair comparison at all.

Thanks for taking the time to post this...I will give it a shot tomorrow. I'm running same B/C as you, really love that little saw, it is always in my 4x4 for whatever quick cut is necessary...and yes I think the MM helps, of course, and sounds better, too. russ

Just a big flat blade screw driver under the limiter and levered it off.
Live and learn. Next time will grind back the limiter, similar to what's been done above

Latest posts

Back