Ms290 bad clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeptrekker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up from a guy looks next to new. But the clutch is totally fried missing the springs,melted plastic housing around the clutch drum. Will take some pics later. Any ideas what would fry clutch to point of melting stuff on a saw that looks like it was used couple times?

Possibly something jammed the chain but probably chain brake as stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I was on right track when I thought this idiot got bar pinched and just held it til it fried. So was looking at replacement clutches...are these Chinese cheapos any good or should I just pony up for oem?

Pony for OEM... When I ordered a farmertec clutch drum/rim sprocket drive for my 290, it used a different sized bearing on the crank and accepted only a different sized rim sprocket, proprietary to Farmertec I'm assuming. Your mileage may vary.

So I priced out the parts from the dealer. It's a .325 saw originally but was debating on switching it to 3/8 and I don't know what sprocket to run 7 or 8 tooth. Any recommendations?

7 tooth, these saws need all the help they can get esp with a 20" bar.

Def take apart the oil pump and check the worm drive and the seals, new clutch bearing. If there's heat discoloration on the worm drive bronze bearing, your crank seal might even come into question.

Ok I'll go 3/8 with a 7 tooth. Probably only going to run a 16" on this saw as my cs490 already wears a 20".

A rim sprocket isn't that expensive. You can always try both and see how you like it. With a 16" bar, it might be at home with an 8 pin especially if using the saw to limb. It is definitely not at home on a 20" bar, though. Cheaper entertainment than a case of beer and a bug zapper.

Would 18" with 7 pin be a happy medium? Sorry for all the questions. I just recently got bit by the sawbug. Lol

Burned up this badly, I believe it was not easy for you to remove the clutch drum and sprocket. This saw likely has rather few hours on it. Regardless, the original owner did the best he could to burn it up. Maybe he hated the saw and just plain refused to listen to it as it screamed in pain. Imagine the smoke. Even if he was deaf he could have seen the burning fire or felt the heat. :eek:

Most of my saw decisions are based on "what do I already have that I can use" so I had a brand new .325 .o63 20" bar. So I converted the saw from 3/8 .050 18" (because the old bar and spur was shot) to the .325 setup. What bars do you have that you can use? What do you need to cut? Are you going to resell it or keep it? 18" is a popular size for the MS290. Its too heavy of a saw to pretend it's an agile limbing saw you are going to be able to rip with an 8 pin 16"

Pulled her down finally. Oil pump seems good...bronze insert looks good. but I'm replacing it anyways. Think I can clean the body up. Found an Oregon clutch drum sprocket assembly for the 290 good kit or avoid?

Back