Early 026 Clutch Question - upgrade to new clutch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwa55dal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok so I picked up an early 026 that was straight gassed and put a new Meteor piston and cylinder kit in along with crank seals, etc. When I was doing the crank seals I noticed that the clutch is slightly different than my 260 and it was also missing the washer between the clutch and oil pump. I picked up the washer at my local dealer and it would not fit. I read a couple different threads and it appears that the early 026’s didn’t have the washer and the clutch is slightly larger. So here is the question - can I use a newer clutch that will allow the washer to fit behind the clutch? I really just want to try and protect the oil pump in the event the clutch fails and if the newer clutch will fit then it seems like reasonable insurance. Also - the saw is NOT a Pro model so I am a little more concerned that if the clutch blows up the plastic pump will be the 1st thing to go.

is your 260 a pro?
the non pros have a crank driven oil pump(the oil pump shoots oil whenever the saw is fired up). i dont remember if it has a washer or not compared to the worm with the clutch driven system.

Some 026 use a clutch with retainers that go under the springs. These do not use a washer. If the holes in the shoes are not worn in where the springs hook and the retainers are not broken, get new springs. Otherwise new clutch.

This one is NOT a Pro. My 260 was a non-pro as well but I upgraded the pump to the adjustable model. The non-pro oil pump is a plastic pump so that’s my concern - if the clutch blows it will trash the pump.

Appreciate all the feedback, but back to the original question - can I put the new clutch and washer on the 026 and just replace the existing clutch?

This one is NOT a Pro. My 260 was a non-pro as well but I upgraded the pump to the adjustable model. The non-pro oil pump is a plastic pump so that’s my concern - if the clutch blows it will trash the pump.

Appreciate all the feedback, but back to the original question - can I put the new clutch and washer on the 026 and just replace the existing clutch?
The clutch (carrier) is a different thickness to accommodate the washer thickness... So if you install a matched set it should fit.

Back