MS650??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I was talking with a fellow last night, and it turns out he has a ms650 sitting around that needs a p/c.
never got into price but i'm going to go look at it tonight.
I don't know much about them other then what I have read here. There somewhere between a 640 and 660, but not held in as high of regards as the two. Should be compatible with a new 660 p/c basically making a 660.
So whats it worth as is and what would it be worth running with a meteor 660 p/c?

Genuine 650's are very rare here in the states. But aftermarket 650's can be picked up for the price of a good case of beer, so be very leery. I'd think that a genuine 650 with a meteor p/c in good shape would be 450-500... really depends on condition.

It was chiefly made for the Brazilian market. I am going by memory it was basically an MS660 made to run low quality fuel and whatever oil was available. They now have an MS651 out which is basically the same thing built on the base of the MS661 (no MTronic).
Piston is the same as per MS660 but I am not 100% sure about cylinder and head gasket as it ran slightly lower compression ratio than an MS660 to use lower octane fuel.

If you get your hands on it check where it's manufactured: Stihl keeps a tight lid on where these saws used in deforestation operations are made. The 070/MS070 used to be made in Germany but since they upgraded it to MS720 I've heard rumors production has shifted to Brazil for extra privacy. And note that security at Waiblingen is incredibly tight: even get admission ot the private Stihl museum is extremely hard.

It was chiefly made for the Brazilian market. I am going by memory it was basically an MS660 made to run low quality fuel and whatever oil was available. They now have an MS651 out which is basically the same thing built on the base of the MS661 (no MTronic).
Piston is the same as per MS660 but I am not 100% sure about cylinder and head gasket as it ran slightly lower compression ratio than an MS660 to use lower octane fuel.

If you get your hands on it check where it's manufactured: Stihl keeps a tight lid on where these saws used in deforestation operations are made. The 070/MS070 used to be made in Germany but since they upgraded it to MS720 I've heard rumors production has shifted to Brazil for extra privacy. And note that security at Waiblingen is incredibly tight: even get admission ot the private Stihl museum is extremely hard.
what will knowing where the saw is manufactured tell me?

bigbev you have to understand some of these guys are, well anal-retentive when it comes to all things chainsaw. When was it made? Where was it made? Which company manufactured the cylinder? When did they change to the plastic fuel tank? Flippy caps, cat converters, chain brakes, spur sprockets, combustion chamber shape, etc etc.
Chainsaws are not just a tool to them. Some have new saws never before having been used. It is worse that classic car collecting, I tell you.

what will knowing where the saw is manufactured tell me?

Perception... German saws are perceived to be more valuable than American saws which are perceived to be more valuable than Brazilian saws which are perceived to be more valuable than Chinese saws. If she's been sitting around a shop for some years, there's a good chance that it's a German saw.

Perception... German saws are perceived to be more valuable than American saws which are perceived to be more valuable than Brazilian saws which are perceived to be more valuable than Chinese saws. If she's been sitting around a shop for some years, there's a good chance that it's a German saw.
Where is it marked on the saw?

That`s not right. The cylinder and base gasket between the MS 651 and 661 is not the same. Only the piston is the same on the MS 651 and 661. The piston on the 651, 661 is it`s own series (1144) only for these two, it`s not compareable with a 660 (1122) piston.

That`s not right. The cylinder and base gasket between the MS 651 and 661 is not the same. Only the piston is the same on the MS 651 and 661. The piston on the 651, 661 is it`s own series (1144) only for these two, it`s not compareable with a 660 (1122) piston.

But is the 651/661 scenario anything to do with the more ancient 650/660 one? :innocent:

I don’t know know, I’m just going off of an old thread from and am parts suppliers website.

I thought the only dif with the ms650 was the bore , made it for an economy version of the 660. I think they were on the dealer shelves about 2 years here. I bought a retired 1 of a logger few or so years back, reconditioned it back to working, sold it to a tree service and they still like and use it. Seems like every part i used on it was off of or interchanged with the 660's.

Personally- I would not give a fat rat's arse if it were made in Germany or Brazil or anywhere else- if it is a genuine Stihl and not a modern copy of one (not that I have ever heard of anyone copying the 650) - it is good enough for me.
Meteor 54mm kit fits 066, 650 and 660.
More of a worry for me would be why a logger had a saw that needs a P&C...... did he hate the Grey & Orange that much he sabotaged it to kill it so he could justify replacing it with orange? :clap:

For me and my opinion- as it sits and seeing as how the owner hates it- it is worth less than 1/4 the shelf price of an equivalent CC rated powerhead, repaired with new P&C, new bar and chain- might be worth slightly less than half.
Offer what you are willing to pay- if you both agree and are both happy- win win.

Personally- I would not give a fat rat's arse if it were made in Germany or Brazil or anywhere else- if it is a genuine Stihl and not a modern copy of one (not that I have ever heard of anyone copying the 650) - it is good enough for me.
Meteor 54mm kit fits 066, 650 and 660.
More of a worry for me would be why a logger had a saw that needs a P&C...... did he hate the Grey & Orange that much he sabotaged it to kill it so he could justify replacing it with orange? :clap:

For me and my opinion- as it sits and seeing as how the owner hates it- it is worth less than 1/4 the shelf price of an equivalent CC rated powerhead, repaired with new P&C, new bar and chain- might be worth slightly less than half.
Offer what you are willing to pay- if you both agree and are both happy- win win.
That I don't know, I know he rebuilds his others saws as needed he did say he never liked that enough to go through the trouble. And I don't question the guys integrity in the least. He is actually my neighbor and will let me bring it home and check it out with out buying it first, so i may do that tonight.

Back