Ms661 falling while in the cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 661 that while I was cutting seemed to bog In the cut. I’ve read where guys have had electrical issues but I think mine is the piston/cylinder. I put a compression test on it and it was right around 130 which is low but how low can these go reliable, starts and revs fine but doesn’t seem strong while cutting. I did take the cylinder off and piston I have some pics tell me if you think top end is my issue or not. Piston pic is exhaust side as well as the cylinder where u see two lines is exhaust side. There not really deep at all if it’s the top end would you do cylinder along with piston or just the piston? And are there any off brands that work well vs oem parts.

Attachments

• 841C376D-B237-40C4-B76B-580EB29A0863.jpeg
    841C376D-B237-40C4-B76B-580EB29A0863.jpeg
    806.8 KB · Views: 100
  • F1E1479B-E02E-40FC-9368-DA6A86606DF6.jpeg
    F1E1479B-E02E-40FC-9368-DA6A86606DF6.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 717CE9F2-4682-4376-9A8E-C3FE774E6D9A.jpeg
    717CE9F2-4682-4376-9A8E-C3FE774E6D9A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • E60FFE52-6098-4375-9229-A82F1E6F314E.jpeg
    E60FFE52-6098-4375-9229-A82F1E6F314E.jpeg
    722.3 KB · Views: 98
Are the caber any different than OEM rings I’m assuming they’re better quality but size wise are they the same width?
I believe Cabers are as good and in some cases better than OEM, the size is correct. There’s a post somewhere that states what the ring endgap should be, off the top of my head, I think it’s in the .010 to .008 range, but don’t quote me. Your piston and cylinder look to be in decent shape, just need a little cleanup.

I did a little surface rubbing on them you can still kind of see the grooves on the exhaust side up top but I can’t feel them at all I’ll take a pic when I get home and repost it.My other Worry is the Nick a cell being worn down too much is that a possibility or would you notice it being warm too much? On a four wheeler of mine you could see a way of where the nickel still had worn away I don’t see that on this.

Take the rings off the piston and insert them in the bore 1 at a time. Using the piston to keep it square, push them slightly above the exhaust and measure the end gap.

Either way, the exhaust side of the piston is a little bit scored and could be keeping the rings from sealing to the cylinder wall. A new meteor piston comes with Caber rings, but make sure it's installed correctly. On the early 661 meteors, the arrow pointed the wrong way, which put a ring gap right on the exhaust port.

That cylinder looks to have some hours on it. You're not going to find any crosshatch unless you create your own

Take the rings off the piston and insert them in the bore 1 at a time. Using the piston to keep it square, push them slightly above the exhaust and measure the end gap.

Either way, the exhaust side of the piston is a little bit scored and could be keeping the rings from sealing to the cylinder wall. A new meteor piston comes with Caber rings, but make sure it's installed correctly. On the early 661 meteors, the arrow pointed the wrong way, which put a ring gap right on the exhaust port.

That cylinder looks to have some hours on it. You're not going to find any crosshatch unless you create your own
Which is hard to do on nikasil.:cool:

It does have the 4700 coil. I was going to change it to the 01 is there anything you have to do or just plug the new one in? I ended up ordering a meteor cylinder and piston kit. I’m going to keep this one as a back up. It wasn’t hard the get the cylinder off but I’d rather spend a few bucks and put it back together once and be done. I’m not positive on the model year I was going to send stihl the numbers to find out. Unless one of you guys can tell off the numbers. Also it’s clean to the touch of a fingernail can’t feel and groove but I found a kit for cheap so I’m going to try it out.

It does have the 4700 coil. I was going to change it to the 01 is there anything you have to do or just plug the new one in? I ended up ordering a meteor cylinder and piston kit. I’m going to keep this one as a back up. It wasn’t hard the get the cylinder off but I’d rather spend a few bucks and put it back together once and be done. I’m not positive on the model year I was going to send stihl the numbers to find out. Unless one of you guys can tell off the numbers. Also it’s clean to the touch of a fingernail can’t feel and groove but I found a kit for cheap so I’m going to try it out.
Unless meteor has improved the 661 cylinders, I doubt you'll be happy with performance. I was given one to try and it ran at about 70% as well as oem. I'd run your oem cylinder with the meteor piston.
I've heard the coil problem was a recall/free replacement thing. Can't hurt to ask your dealer about a recall and see if they'll do it

Wonder why the performance would be less if it’s the same size cylinder. And I’ll check with them on the coil thanks. All cleaned up and waiting for whatever I can figure out what’s best to put back in lol.

Attachments

• 65C054FD-CB0D-4138-8460-CB1EB91E0C14.jpeg
    65C054FD-CB0D-4138-8460-CB1EB91E0C14.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • F92B0BB4-D71A-4872-A1B5-685C96CF1208.jpeg
    F92B0BB4-D71A-4872-A1B5-685C96CF1208.jpeg
    942.1 KB · Views: 32
Wonder why the performance would be less if it’s the same size cylinder. And I’ll check with them on the coil thanks. All cleaned up and waiting for whatever I can figure out what’s best to put back in lol.
Performance is related to port timing, from what I’ve read. Your old cylinder is more than likely still your best bet.

Back