Ms661 falling while in the cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder why the performance would be less if it’s the same size cylinder.

The port shapes, sizes, and locations affect how well it runs, which is why some opt to have their saws ported. I haven't degreed a Meteor 661 cylinder or studied it to see why they lack performance. Most AM cylinders don't perform as well as oem.

Would it be best to just buy a whole oem top end my dealer quoted me 282 for cylinder and piston?

Just depends on where you want to draw the line at. I honestly think your used cylinder is fine, but it's hard to tell via pics.

You may only get the current 1144 400 4704 control unit with the m-tronic v.3. But it can be used with the previous version of the chainsaw too. But calibration is different. Best would be your dealer would do it with the software. If you do it by yourself start the saw in cold start position and let it run between 30 and 60 sec in this mode. Then give full throttle and hold it (around 30 sec.) RPM`s increase until they reach top speed and then they drop back down to around 10.000 rpm. Release the throttle trigger and switch it off. Done, ready for use.

You may only get the current 1144 400 4704 control unit with the m-tronic v.3. But it can be used with the previous version of the chainsaw too. But calibration is different. Best would be your dealer would do it with the software. If you do it by yourself start the saw in cold start position and let it run between 30 and 60 sec in this mode. Then give full throttle and hold it (around 30 sec.) RPM`s increase until they reach top speed and then they drop back down to around 10.000 rpm. Release the throttle trigger and switch it off. Done, ready for use.
Awesome thanks!

Thanks! I would have never dreamed it would come clean, my only expierence with nickasel was in my racing quads and once they were shot you had to get a new cylinder but they never scored just wore down the coating. Wonder if them being 4 stroke was the difference.
Saws will wear through the nikasil after awhile. Usually it's on a big saw that lived a long enough life or it was accelerated by running without an air filter

Thanks! I would have never dreamed it would come clean, my only expierence with nickasel was in my racing quads and once they were shot you had to get a new cylinder but they never scored just wore down the coating. Wonder if them being 4 stroke was the difference.

We had the same issue with the big two stroke cylinders they’d run through the coating as well. Seems like anything with a big piston with a short skirt really accelerates the wear due to the chance of rock by the piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I got my parts today put the saw back together and I have a few issues. Compression is still low only around 130 new piston and caber rings, maybe the cylinder is to worn or maybe my decomp is leaking, what’s a good way to check it. I haven’t gapped the rings so I may do that before a cylinder. Also I wanted to fire it up and now I have no spark. All I did was took the coil out to clean dirt and what not around the flywheel. I took compressed air around the carb area. I gapped the coil with a business card.

Once the rings break in, your compression will come up.

How fast were you pulling it over while checking for spark? Some coils need the fw to spin relatively fast to pick up a spark. Make sure the plug is grounding out to the cylinder while checking

If in doubt about compression release leaking one should always consider a vacuum/pressure check.

I will use a small zip tie to literally tie the sparkplug against the cylinder making good ground contact when testing for spark. Usually not necessary, but it's cheap and easy to make sure.

Well I took the saw in and they called me today and said they couldnt find any problems. So I have no idea there, I requested a pressure vac test and check the spark. They called right at closing time so I won’t be able to get it until monday. They did say compression was low. This was all In A voicemail so I didn’t get to ask questions. The wonder I have now do you think the factory cylinder is worn to much. I know the saw isnt broke In With the new rings but I was only getting 120 psi. Once they break in will it perform pretty well or do you think I should just get a new cylinder?

I went with a meteor piston was hoping for 150-160 but not sure I’m going to get that psi. When I decided to do this the comp was at 130 so after a fresh piston I’m lower than when I started and the saw felt weak to me at the 130.

Back