My firewood tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a semi chisel chain on the 056 when I used it. The 066 had a brand new regular Lazer chain and a brand new bar, it cut pretty good. I keep tons of spare chain and a few bars for each saw. I hate not having something ( I'm getting audited for taxes next Monday, pretty sure it's gonna go pretty badly) so I buy spare parts for everything. The semi cut pretty good but I was pushing it harder than I should have I think, should have let it cut itself but always in a hurry. This is really dry, dead wood so it's tough to cut anyway and from the edge of a field so it's always been sand and dirt blasted into the wood. I took it easy with the 066 and let the saw drop into the cut, slower but better for the saw I'm sure. I had the same issue when I bought the semi chisel chain, it was an old chain the dealer had lying around.

This week was an Amish consignment sale at a sawmill. I bought a few more things I really needed. 2 big cylinders, should work for something I build. $35 for the pr. View attachment 240388
240388d1338753761-cylinders-jpg

A frame with electric hoist on it for $50. Some poor guy hauled this to the sale to sell it. I was just planning on robbing the heavy steel off it to use for my rear grapple but decided maybe it would be better left complete and use it for lifting mowers to change blades, servicing jet skiis or other crap. View attachment 240390
240390d1338754174-aframe-jpg

And the best for the last. Because of my upcoming 50th birthday I decided to really spoil myself and get me one of those fancy little German built convertibles. I was gonna get the hardtop but figured I would only use it during nice weather anyway so I went all out and got the convertible. As you can see it's got the full lighting package too. You would not believe the look on my wife's face when I pulled in with this black beauty on the car hauler. I could read her lips as I drove and and she said W hat T he F ancy rig you have there, at least that's what it looked like to me. View attachment 240394

240394d1338755695-convertible-jpg

Litle chilly the last few days so I decided to start the Hotblast. Threw abit of paper in it, added some spruce 2x4's and a couple of pieces of ash on top. Used the propane torch to get it going then went upstairs to read some threads. A few threads later okay maybe alot of threads later I went downstairs to check on things. I left the draft door open abit. View attachment 240413
240413d1338766889-stovepipe2-jpg

Zogger, and only $100 too. The kids had a blast. I'm going to make a hitch for my 4 wheeler and add some seat belts for slow drives around the block. At some point I might put a gas motor on it and make it self propelled.

You don't got to put an engine on everything. Go get your a hayburner that needs a loving home. Around here nice donkeys are like 50 bucks or free, horses more, but more upkeep. Our last donkey was free, delivered. What's *expensive* is buggys. I think I will have to actually build something, a little cart, and I want a small log arch.

Either way ya go, though, sport! You have lotsa cool stuff and I envy your fabbing skills.

The kids just had to go for a ride immediately. Ran not bad for a 50 year old tired engine. View attachment 240395
240395d1338756150-convertible2-jpg

If you're in Goderich, you might have an RCMP detachment around. Maybe one of the mounties could come over and hitch up the wagon and give your wife and yourself a REAL horse and carriage ride !

Good grab, and for that price I'd have bought it too !

10 minutes later. This is why I installed a damper in the chimney pipe and used a grinder to grind off the knobs on the bottom spinning damper. I can shut the air almost right off and kill the fire. View attachment 240415
240415d1338767721-stovepipe3-jpg

I did that several yiears ago. 3 splits Willow, open ash drawer door, 2 sheets newspaper and lit off. Went out todo something and forgot about it. Came back in awhile later and no wood in stove and no ashes left in the pan!

Harry K

This weekend's sale wasn't so good. I only bought a few items, one of which was an old hookeron that I will likely never use but I've always wanted one so now I do. It was an Amish school auction with the usual amish stuff, machinery, tools, old stuff, buggies, and horses. I only spent a few minutes at the horse ring that they had out in a field. They had a steel temporary corral built with a wooden stand for auctioneers at one side, spectators surrounded the ring. While standing there I was reminded of a fair that I was at years ago where a team of horses bolted and a few people were hurt, I left the area to bid on some items. An hour later I see the Ornge medivac helicopter go past to the west, several minutes later an ambulance with lights on turned into the field and headed back to the horse ring. Auctioneer made an announcement that a young child had been seriously injured when a horse bolted out of the ring and trampled him. Several adults were hurt also. The helicopter then circled the field twice scaring the crap out of the rest of the horses and landed in a field nearby, they stabilized the child and then airlifted him to the local hospital. I left the sale and haven't heard anymore on the extent of the injuries but did hear they were head injuries. Why do we continue to do stupid things? There should have been a fence to separate the "spectators" from the horses and an open gate where spooked horses could "escape" without running over people. The worse part is that 99 percent of the people that were standing there in the way had no intention of buying a horse anyway, they could have stood on the nearby hill and watched everything without spooking horses. I hope the kid is okay. View attachment 241344
241344d1339456734-helicopter-jpg

Back