My firewood tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how does one remove the bark ? Does it work like a traditional lathe, where you'd hold a VERY long-handled pole (with a cutter on the end of it) on the tool rest, or safety brace, as you call it ? Didn't see any other cutting attachments on there.

So how does one remove the bark ? Does it work like a traditional lathe, where you'd hold a VERY long-handled pole (with a cutter on the end of it) on the tool rest, or safety brace, as you call it ? Didn't see any other cutting attachments on there.

I think "bark buster" is just a name. This is how it works

[video=youtube;NTbUrCTJF1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbUrCTJF1I&feature=related[/video]

Denis, the screw type splitters actually can do a variety of jobs besides splitting knarly wood. Rudolf73 has posted one use of it but if you do a bit of searching you can see other pictures of what they can do. They can be used to remove skin from the arms, legs or fingers. They are capable of taking your breath away as a chunk of wood nails you in the chest. They can stall a tracor hopefully very quickly if they bind in a tough piece. And as you can see from the pictures they are quite useful for bending steel pipe. Whenever anyone asks to borrow my Speeco splitter I show them the Unicorn or now the Bark Buster first. They do work good to split big nasty stuff into smaller chunks to put in the speeco. Like every tool you have to pay attention when you are using them, otherwise you will witness the bone adjustment they can do.

I had been wanting one of those Bark Buster splitters and finally found one a year or so ago. I like running it and only as dangerous as the operator. I didn't get it as cheap as you did, cost me $125 and it's the only one I've seen for sale around here. Good thread and you have run into some good bargains.

I think "bark buster" is just a name. This is how it works

[video=youtube;NTbUrCTJF1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbUrCTJF1I&feature=related[/video]

HAaaaaaaaaaa !!! Now I GOTS to get me one of THEM !!!! Thanks Rudy for the video, I was hoping to see him stick a nice big 20" crotch or knot-filled chunk, but I get the idea. That thing works faster than the Fiskars I think !

The screw splitters are fast, especially on the easier to split species. When we used it on elm it was not all that efficient. With really stringy wood or nasty crotch wood etc., we would get a lot of smoke, the threads would "strip" out and then catch and try again and you ended up finishing it off with an axe or maul. They do work pretty slick, though--just make sure the stop or arm you have to keep the piece from spinning is substantial. Ask me how I know that is important.:msp_unsure::dizzy:

Ron

Forgot to post last weekends auction results. Been too busy working. Bought a set of new kitchen cabinets, some doors from a sale, bought 1 new window from Home Depot. Been remodeling a house (part trailer) I own, I have the windows and doors installed, wiring done, insulation done and ready for drywall. At least it's been too hot to cut wood, that and I have too much cut already. I got laid off last week and was planning on taking a couple of months off to get everything done, got a call to start a new job and tomorrow is my 1st day, so much for holidays. I also had the tax auditor here 2 weeks ago, not good they want taxes on $150,000 in undeclared income (they think) We've already proved that we declared the income but they are making us get all the checks and prove each single one. The bank wants $2 per check and there is approx 350 checks. They are also "deleting" about $10,000 in business expenses too and expect a check for the taxes owing. We run a grass cutting business and they are saying no grass cutting in the winter so no expenses allowed for that 4 month period. I told him we fix and build equipment all winter and I expect to claim those expenses, they say No. The guy is just a young kid and knows nothing but numbers. We're sorting thru invoices but man it takes time. I'm really starting to wonder about this whole being legitimate, legal thing. Everytime we seem to be getting ahead they change the rules and we end up paying more money and keeping less. Good thing I didn't claim my firewood stuff as an expense, he would have hit the roof.
FYI the kitchen cabinets are made in Ohio and are sold up here in regular monthly auctions, they sell about 35 sets each sale. My nephew helping unload. View attachment 247056
247056d1343874793-windows-jpg

Last edited:
Do Not Settle With The Taxman Too Fast

Don't know how the Taxman handles things in Canada but I can tell you of an incident right here in my home town.

A guy I know used to operate his own business and the auditors showed up and spent about a week going through his books and checks. They claimed he owed another $5,000.00 in taxes on deposits into his bank account from non business transactions.

He paid the $5,000.00 and about 2-weeks later the auditors were back again going through his books etc. He went and talked to a lawyer who told him the director at the IRS probably thought you are hiding something because you paid off so quickly.

Nosmo

Only have 30 days to respond or they just send a bill and you have 30 daays from them to pay. He said there will be a penalty on about $90,000. We're asking for an extension because the bank isn't being very cooperative in giving us the checking info. Also the fax number the tax guy gave us is wrong so we can't send them the info we have already. I may have been a little cloudy on some business expenses but we never had another 150 g's in income either.

The Auction Scores

More auction scores,
Stihl 034-18" Bar- Runs Sweet
Echo EV500 20" Bar- Runs Sweeter
Stihl 420 blower and it blows

oh yea... and some wrenches..nice and big
(disclaimer=oil leak is not oil but spilled gas)

Last edited:
Saw looks good? Where was the sale? I'm working night shift and 6 days a week now and it's starting to really cut into my auction times. I've also been renovating our house but getting close to done. Tomorrow I'm at Breslau for abit before work. I was at a sale 2 weeks ago and bought 6' snowblower, workbench, drill press and a few other small things. I bought a JD 400 for a neighbour who couldn't make the sale. The guy did firewood on the side and had made his own skidder, I bid on it but really had no use for it so let it go. The dump trailer went reasonable too but it was 5th wheel so I passed it up too. I did run everything up to the end though, an entertaining day to say the least, the auctioneer and the home owner thanked me for showing up. He had 4 saws too but they went for what they were worth so I left them. Forgot to take any pictures but I will soon. Haven't even had a chainsaw running for weeks.

Been to Bryan's a time or two. I've almost got the kitchen cabinets I bought there all installed, just waiting on the new countertops. Bought a couple of Steiners and a Bobcat there a few years ago. Wednesday sale is a pain for me, darn day job. They do have some good stuff and some good deals too especially early in the day.

Back