My first attempt at porting (with pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
I have been reading and studying and have been inspired by the great porting geniuses here and decided to put my new found knowledge to practical use.

I welcome constructive criticism, but I think it is a really solid first effort.

The D shaped cylinder is a great jumping off point as they are known for great performance even before mods.

I widened the intake and polished the jug. Taking special care to do smooth chamfering on all the ports. The squish is dead perfect after turning the base. I plan to use Permatex red with no base gasket, my rough test shows compression right about 198 PSI, so I got that going for me.

I decided to take things a little farther in the interest of wanting a true woods ported saw to be little lighter than stock, I mean a guy has to carry it to the tree right?

A few external modifications to the jug, that I don't think will affect performance though it remains to be seen if longevity will be affected adversely.

I use a proprietary coating on the cylinder walls to increase lubricity.

I think a Foredom is in my future as it should make work easier than the slower tools I used on this one.

Dave

IMG_7524_zpsqvujgznw.jpg

IMG_7522_zpsc8qk4typ.jpg

IMG_7516_zpsnko1jg7n.jpg

IMG_7517_zpsuvwratjn.jpg

IMG_7515_zpsrxjiabvz.jpg

This little guy was on the middle of the garage floor when I entered this morning.
Kinda horrifying
IMG_7514_zpsdrhdun2i.jpg

Dave

I have been reading and studying and have been inspired by the great porting geniuses here and decided to put my new found knowledge to practical use.

I welcome constructive criticism, but I think it is a really solid first effort.

The D shaped cylinder is a great jumping off point as they are know for great performance even before mods.

I widened the intake and polished the jug. Taking special care to do smooth chamfering on all the ports. The squish is dead perfect after turning the base. I plan to use Permatex red with no base gasket, my rough test shows compression right about 198 PSI, so I got that going for me.

I decided to take things a little farther in the interest of wanting a true woods ported saw to be little lighter than stock, I mean a guy has to carry it to the tree right?

A few external modifications to the jug, that I don't think will affect performance though it remains to be seen if longevity will be affected adversely.

I use a proprietary coating on the cylinder walls to increase lubricity.

I think a Foredom is in my future as it should make work easier than the slower tools I used on this one.

Dave

IMG_7524_zpsqvujgznw.jpg

IMG_7522_zpsc8qk4typ.jpg

IMG_7516_zpsnko1jg7n.jpg

IMG_7517_zpsuvwratjn.jpg

IMG_7515_zpsrxjiabvz.jpg

This little guy was on the middle of the garage floor when I entered this morning.
Kinda horrifying
IMG_7514_zpsdrhdun2i.jpg

Dave
very nice...are you scheduling new work? id like to get in line please

very nice...are you scheduling new work? id like to get in line please

I appreciate the kind words.
I would really prefer to get a few more saws under my belt before I announce any pricing.
My plan is to be an ultra premium service, likely at least twice as expensive as most of the other hacks doing this and a still an amazing bargain.
Dave :)

I honestly had no idea this was such a crusty bugger inside. It is an 075 and I am building several for fun. The first saw I am assembling I had accidently put an early 050 crank with it and it is a different duck, so I was tearing this saw apart to get the crank.
Tight as a drum had to abuse the crap out of it to get it apart and of course the crank was trash inside anyway :(
DDave
I will probably run single ring just to be ornery, but the real question is what oil will I use ? :)

I honestly had no idea this was such a crusty bugger inside. It is an 075 and I am building several for fun. The first saw I am assembling I had accidently put an early 050 crank with it and it is a different duck, so I was tearing this saw apart to get the crank.
Tight as a drum had to abuse the crap out of it to get it apart and of course the crank was trash inside anyway :(
DDave
I will probably run single ring just to be ornery, but the real question is what oil will I use ? :)
Well, used oil, of course!!

I tie about 200 helium filled balloons to my top handle when I want to lighten my saw up when I'm up cutting. Leave a large enough loop where the string ties to the handle and it'll slide freely around so you can back cut without the string getting in the way. Sometimes I use those shiny ones with pictures.

Latest posts

Back