My Pull Cord Handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, as luck would have it, my Stihl Elasto-Start handle gave up. The inside rubber portion broke in half and now looks like this:

The lower stem separated completely. So, I decided to try and make a replacement in the shop. For starters, I found a scrap of 5/4 quartersawn white oak and traced a rough pattern on it that resembled the original handle:

Then I used about every tool I had in the shop: drill press, table saw, band saw, disk sander, etc. Hand sanding was also very important. After two coats I had this product available for installation:

I added a #10 steel washer inside the counterbored hole at the top that reinforces the hole that the knot kisses. Perhaps the hardest part was shaping the conical projection stem at the bottom that fits into the pull-cord housing. The sides of the stem must have a flat to help hold the handle in the correct orientation with the saw. Here's the final installation with the MS390 I am still restoring:

To test it, I found a strong logger who drop started the saw several times. He couldn't break it and bought me a beer. Then he asked, "How many hours did it take to make it?" To which I responded, "About five, not counting drying time. But, I think I could make about four a day if I started producing them. The hardwood is so comfortable to pull that not having the elastic stretch doesn't seem to mean much."

Very nice! Is elasto-start even standard on that model?
Not standard to my knowledge. This was an upgrade that I bought. I believe the top permanent catch that was fastened to the pull cord came loose and that allowed the rubber insert to stretch too far. The two catches have to be firm and the exact distance apart to prevent this from happening. I also do not intend to earn a living making these. However, if this one lasts, I might make a few more for the bigger saws in my collection.

Nice work mister, are you worried about it splitting?

I worked on a wild thang one time that had a permanent marker as the starter handle....

It later came back in with a stick...

Will say that is nice, and the OP did live up to his scree name as a wood doctor. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice work mister, are you worried about it splitting?
Not that much because of the grain orientation. Note that the grain is running horizontally and this is quartersawn oak, which also helps. Regardless, I will notify the forum immediately if it fails and how it did. Every now and then I'll slap on another coat of varnish.

Appropriate username! I'm looking at the triangle pic #2 and thinking what on earth.... and the viola!

Latest posts

Back