MS290 to MS390 hard pull

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Cigar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A few years ago I purchased an older Stihl MS290 chainsaw. It ran decently. I think I scorched the cylinder while cutting stumps low to the ground and creating excessive heat and stress.

In any event I was advised to replace the cylinder with the MS390 cylinder kit. Make it more powerful.
I had my guy do it and it kicks ass and really pulls. Once started it's a beast for me anyway.

My other saw is a MS261 so I am not a pro. I mainly drop some medium trees and cut firewood.

Question. Its very hard pulling the cord to start. Takes a lot of pulls and hard.
Is that normal or is there some adjustment I can make?

Note that the MS290 has no decompression valve. The 390 does. Are you using that decomp valve that could/should have been installed with the P/C kit? Perhaps not because the 290 shroud has no opening on top to use it. Your repair "guy" would have to have drilled a hole in the top of the 290 shroud and then installed the decomp valve.

Many upgrades to the 390 include only a plug installed in the cylinder's decomp opening because the upgrade installer figures you can live without it.

Note that the MS290 has no decompression valve. The 390 does. Are you using that decomp valve that could/should have been installed with the P/C kit? Perhaps not because the 290 shroud has no opening on top to use it. Your repair "guy" would have to have drilled a hole in the top of the 290 shroud and then installed the decomp valve.

Many upgrades to the 390 include only a plug installed in the cylinder's decomp opening because the upgrade installer figures you can live without it.
That is what I figured. Definitely did not install any decompression button. My 261 has that so I get it. So I do just have to live with it. I used it this morning and have to get used to it. Thank you
Bruce

Attachments

• 20231215_130023.jpg
    20231215_130023.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
This saw should not be hard to start at all even with no decomp. I had a 290 that I did the same thing to and it was super easy to pull over with 150psi. I currently have one saw (026) that's 240psi and don't use a decomp with it (not a option) but if you use the method Lightning Performance mentioned above it's still not bad.

A couple things will help. As stated before, pull to TDC, then pull to start. I do like the Elastostart handles. The flex of the rubber gives that little help that may be needed.

Latest posts

Back