ArboristSite.com Sponsors

National Park service releases the Brian Hughes factual report today.

Discussion in 'Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities' started by TheBrushSlasher, May 7, 2019.

1. TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw001QYLbqfm--NLsg5Cn6mH

From things I've observed with the beetle kill ponderosa pine while felling them is a lot of them were starting to rot at the Stump. I had one that just stood straight as I pounded stacked wedges in and I noticed one wedge was an inch into the upper part of the cut. I left the wedges for support and moved up ten inches above my prior cuts and took the tree down. The tree felt solid before I made the first cut. This is just my thoughts on what may have lead up to this accident and maybe somebody will learn something from this.

2. CacaoBoy

CacaoBoy ArboristSite Operative

The report is worth reading. "The snag fell in the direction of the primary escape route, hitting the ground approximately 145 degrees from the intended lay . . ."

TheBrushSlasher likes this.
  3. Tobystihl

Tobystihl Creaky Limb Tree Care

Very tragic, poor guy!

SeMoTony and TheBrushSlasher like this.
  4. madmarksolomon

madmarksolomon Timber Junkie

Interesting read.

5. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

RIP, Brother. I got as far as the picture of the stump. There was no hinge, it had been bore cut through. There was only about an inch of holding wood on each side, and on one side that was bad wood. They said there were no signs of wind that day. A very mild breeze in the canopy, on a tree that tall, could easily blow it back. Loggers often say they don't have time to shoot a tag line up in a tree. A Big Shot could have put a line 40-50 feet up in less than one minute. A tag line could have been pulled through in 2-3 minutes. If that had of been done, there would be no investigation.

SeMoTony, Jed1124 and TheBrushSlasher like this.
  6. gary courtney

gary courtney Addicted to ArboristSite

Rip ! Looked like back cut was lower and at an angle ,causing it to set back on stump.

7. old CB

old CB ArboristSite Operative

I think only out of consideration for the sawyer is it not mentioned in the report that this was sawyer error. The photo of the stump just screams sawyer error. To expect a dead snag to fall in the desired direction with only those two small pegs of holding wood is nuts. Yes, you can bore out some of the holding wood, but there was nothing left on that tree, not nearly enough holding wood to serve. The back cut coming in low on one side was a problem, of course, but the wedges could have helped to overcome that if there were only enough wood to hold the tree on the stump till the wedges forced it over. Plus, there's a possibility they misread the lean of the tree. Don't know if they sighted it. I hate criticizing someone else's work, but in this case the proper precautions were not followed.

TheBrushSlasher and rarefish383 like this.