iron wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you do a log cabin, the bark has to be stripped away....right?

yes debarking even with a wood wizard it is like a planer for your chain saw was probably going to take several more Saturdays then a foundation and notching logs , a floor , a roof we were thinking 16 x24 inside with a loft and a front porch, it would have been hundreds of hours.

This what we call Ironwood here. 2nd pic is a close up of the different types of bark look. I've been told this might be one of the biggest ones around here. There is actually quite a few in the bush behind my house and most are in good shape. There are lots of under 8" ones that are standing dead too though. I played with my stump grapple on one a few weeks ago and they are tough to get out for sure. Extremely heavy and tight grain.
IMG_20160925_103430.jpg IMG_20160925_103511.jpg

This log cabin was built in 1930 with Tulip Poplar logs cut from the property. Note the bark is still on and tight. One wall in the back , they used pine because they ran out of Poplar, and they skinned the pine. I just took this picture a couple years ago to show that some wood will hold the bark in cabins, Joe.

Latest posts

Back