Need a New Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchipper95

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a heat box essentially right now with a car blower. Cost me $10 at a yard sale used it for 10 years now. It burns to a cold coal in 6 hours no matter the wood, thats the best I can do.
Was looking at blaze king and was dead set on a princess.
But they said the stove pipe cant bend until after 30" above the stove. Mine currently goes into the chimney directly out the back of the stove.

Need some help, I like the idea of the cat stoves but not sure if i could set it up properly.20160127_172704.jpg

Not sure about the bend thing, but get the King if you have the room. A load of wood in it seriously will last 30-40hrs.

I have a Princess, it's in my living room and I didn't want the whole room to be a stove. I normally load it twice a day. Late morning and early evening. A load can last ~20hrs.

If I had to reload a stove every 6 hrs I'd not even bother heating with wood!

I heat 1400sq ft in AK with cheap leaking windows on less than 3 cords a year.

Blaze King isn't the "cadillac" of stoves in AK without reason, they flat out work!

Not sure about the bend thing, but get the King if you have the room. A load of wood in it seriously will last 30-40hrs.

I have a Princess, it's in my living room and I didn't want the whole room to be a stove. I normally load it twice a day. Late morning and early evening. A load can last ~20hrs.

If I had to reload a stove every 6 hrs I'd not even bother heating with wood!

I heat 1400sq ft in AK with cheap leaking windows on less than 3 cords a year.

Blaze King isn't the "cadillac" of stoves in AK without reason, they flat out work!
Its in the basement so there is room. When I got the stove it was for fun basically... then it turned into hey I can heat the house for free basically. Now that im out of college and have a decent job I would like to get a better stove. This house is 1200sqft drafty old farm house. Whatever stove I get ill probably take with me when I move out.

Does it have a blower?
yes they have a small blower attached. i have a place that i can get them for about $70. most other places are about $125 or so. it's mounted to the back/bottom and draws cold air from the floor area and thru tubes in the stove. i have had one in my shop for about five years and can keep it at around 70* most of the time. (semi-insulated) around 10 hour burn times +/-.

Your heading in a good direction getting a smoke burning stove of some kind . Bought a dorlet tundra 2 years ago might not be the best but the price was right , the amount of work the new stove has saved been very happy with that part . I had a 1 year learning curve not letting coals build up done a lot better year 2 .

If you are ahead on dry firewood I can't recommend a cat stove enough. 1200 square feet? You can go with a BK or a Woostock stove and not heat yourself out of the house.

I've got an Ideal Steel from Woodstock and I love having a cat stove. They burn a long time and sip wood compared to a non cat stove.

Back