Need help getting stihl 056 running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse snowden

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've got a question for the pros. So here's the deal...I am getting into milling trees for my own wood working projects. Since bigger is always better, I searched around and found a beat up non-running 056 av super electronic for 100 bucks. Looked like someone ran regular gas in it until it burned up. So I tore it apart, replaced the piston, honed the cylinder, new spark plug, air filter and muffler. Got it together and running!! But it wasn't running right. After 20 minutes of milling it would start to bog down, die, not want to start again, generally not good stuff. Set the carb to the factory settings (1.5 turns out on both screws), tried running it more lean and more rich, in 1/16 turn increments, nothing could keep it running once it got hot.

So I've rebuilt the carb. Bought one of those little rebuild kits for 10 bucks from bailey's. Seemed a little cheap, but everything matched up and fit perfectly.

Now it won't start at all!!!! On a cold start, I set the choke, with the throttle lock engaged, one good pull gets it to rev up slightly. Turn the choke off, leave the throttle locked, give it a rip and it revs right up! Then immediately dies. From that point on it will not turn over rev on its own at all.

If I take the spark plug out, clear the cylinder with a few pulls, blow it out a little, and try again I get the same results as a cold start. One big rev up, then nothing.

I'm in the seattle area, at sea level. Am I getting too much fuel? Not enough? Although I love the guys at my local shop, I really don't want to pay 50 bucks to have someone turn a few screws....

Any tips are appreciated!

Have you checked for spark? That series of saw is notorious for ignition issues. Cool gets hot and then breaks down, will run again once it cools off.

I have 3 of them but would not mill with one, too old, heavy and hard to get parts for.

I'm usually the type of guy that checks all the boxes when trying to repair something that old. But if you want longevity I would look into everything as it's an old saw and the parts probably were never replaced or it's been a long time.

How does the fuel line and filter look?
Intake boot?
Have you pressure/vac tested to eliminate a possible air leak?
New spark plug?
Compression test reading? Or how does the piston/cylinder look after removing the muffler?
How does the air filter look?

I would think if you want this saw for milling, make sure these things are all in order.

Im crazy though and tend to focus on all the details to make sure it's running the way it was suppose too from factory

Hello everyone!

I've got a question for the pros. So here's the deal...I am getting into milling trees for my own wood working projects. Since bigger is always better, I searched around and found a beat up non-running 056 av super electronic for 100 bucks. Looked like someone ran regular gas in it until it burned up. So I tore it apart, replaced the piston, honed the cylinder, new spark plug, air filter and muffler. Got it together and running!! But it wasn't running right. After 20 minutes of milling it would start to bog down, die, not want to start again, generally not good stuff. Set the carb to the factory settings (1.5 turns out on both screws), tried running it more lean and more rich, in 1/16 turn increments, nothing could keep it running once it got hot.

So I've rebuilt the carb. Bought one of those little rebuild kits for 10 bucks from bailey's. Seemed a little cheap, but everything matched up and fit perfectly.

Now it won't start at all!!!! On a cold start, I set the choke, with the throttle lock engaged, one good pull gets it to rev up slightly. Turn the choke off, leave the throttle locked, give it a rip and it revs right up! Then immediately dies. From that point on it will not turn over rev on its own at all.

If I take the spark plug out, clear the cylinder with a few pulls, blow it out a little, and try again I get the same results as a cold start. One big rev up, then nothing.

I'm in the seattle area, at sea level. Am I getting too much fuel? Not enough? Although I love the guys at my local shop, I really don't want to pay 50 bucks to have someone turn a few screws....

Any tips are appreciated!

Bosch ignition? When they crap out it's once warmed up. Great thread here on how to fix them on the cheap

Bosch ignition? When they crap out it's once warmed up. Great thread here on how to fix them on the cheap

Is that thread about the ignitions? Or the 056?
And I'm not sure if this model has the bosch unit or not...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160522-184526.png
    Screenshot_20160522-184526.png
    130 KB · Views: 17
So I took off the flywheel and turns out the ground wire from the on off switch into the resin filled ignition control module is completely corroded. The insulation falls off and it's all green underneath. The corrosion leads all the way into and under the resin. It looks like the coils are just fine. Just the center control module. So, having trouble finding that. Anyone have any leads on parts?

The big black thing filled with resin is the solid state control module. Good luck finding one. I'd try splicing a new wire in (hope there's SOME copper left). You could try removing the resin very carefully and soldering a new lead in place. Difficulty rating =11 out of 10. :-/

So I took off the flywheel and turns out the ground wire from the on off switch into the resin filled ignition control module is completely corroded. The insulation falls off and it's all green underneath. The corrosion leads all the way into and under the resin. It looks like the coils are just fine. Just the center control module. So, having trouble finding that. Anyone have any leads on parts?

Do a search for 'foggysails' 056 ignition fix!......Lots of useful reading for 056 owners.

I don't know why i didn't think about this more in depth...I'm an electrician. Haha! I figured its encased in resin, there is no way to alter it now. But I was wrong! I think I'm gonna save myself 300 bucks and try doing the fix. Awesome, thanks guys

20160612_142954.jpg
Welp, here it is so far! It just so happens I've been using epoxy resin, dyed black, to fill cracks in slabs. So I've got all the supplies ready to go. Decided to do the ground wire as well while I'm here. Need to order a capacitor so we're done for today.

Attachments

• 20160612_142954.jpg
    20160612_142954.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Back