"New" Cub Cadet 27 ton at the Pawn shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, those two ********** links are for the exact same thread.

I know that. I posted them both because it illustrates that more than one person has experienced this problem. Each link shows a different guy who had the same problem, and one guy posted some good pictures illustrating the known problem.

That piece is almost split diagonally already, and I would have tried in about the same spot. I don't think its an abuse thing, I think its a overuse thing, as in its not designed to work very hard for very long, but may work for a while.

The split to the right of the wedge only showed up after the wedge sunk in. Anytime I deal with a large knot in hardwood like pecan, I try and weaken the round by biting off small chunks on the opposite side of the knot, hence the placement of the wedge right now. Trying to split this round right up the middle of the knot before weakening the round would have no doubt just stuck the wedge in.
Believe it or not, I actually read the round before chunking it up there and going to town...:smile2:

I know that. I posted them both because it illustrates that more than one person has experienced this problem. Each link shows a different guy who had the same problem, and one guy posted some good pictures illustrating the known problem.

Posting the same link twice does not illustrate the problems of more than one person. Both ********** links go to the exact same thread. Same guy, not different guys.

Something wrong with your browser or something. Both links go to the same thread, definitely different posts.

First link goes to post #49 by Pelletnubi, second post goes to #76 by stych64.

Posting the same link twice does not illustrate the problems of more than one person. Both ********** links go to the exact same thread. Same guy, not different guys.

read the threads again, first post was from a user named "stytch64", the second post was from a user named "pelletnubi" and a third guy named "bsticks" started the thread with the same problem.
Go to the start of the thread here
********** | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums!
and read what the OP had to say, scroll down, and you will see where pelletnubi chimed in with some pics.
Different guys, different machines. Look, I aint trying to rain on your parade. You want to buy the machine, its your coin. All i was trying to do was help you out by relating what happened to mine, and that it is a known issue. I figured that you would like to make an informed decision on a purchase close to a grand, and get the best value for your money. I have found over the years that anytime you buy a piece of equipement you are far better off saving up until you can buy a good piece rather than something that will just get you by, unless its a tool that is used infrequently or doesnt have to work that hard. You mentioned that you mght be sharing this machine with neighbors, who is going to foot the bill if this happens? How are you going to feel if your neighbor uses it, chunks up a nice piece of knotted up pecan and blows the cylinder all over his shirt?

I bought mine to get me by, and that is exactly what I got, a machine that got me by.Would I repeat that mistake knowing what I know now?Hell no. I woulda saved up another month or two, robbed the cookie jar, or bought the better machine and pleaded ignorance when the wife saw the bill.
Just trying to help you out man, I thought that was what this place was for.

Something wrong with your browser or something. Both links go to the same thread, definitely different posts.

First link goes to post #49 by Pelletnubi, second post goes to #76 by stych64.

Okay, I see that now. When I clicked the first link, it started at #49. Rather than start in the middle of the thread I went to post #1 and read from the beginning so that everything would be in context. I did the same for the second link - thought..."wait a minute! I just read this!"

I'm just trying to get a realistic, non-emotional picture of MTD splitters. I'm not saying there haven't been some cylinder problems. I believe that. But, as suggested, I Googled "Troy-Bilt log splitter busted cylinders" and got very few hits, other than the recent ones on the forum and at ********** - also basically referencing the same few people.

50 reviews at Lowes.com and not one mentions cylinder explosion.
One engine failure and a leaking gas tank. That's about as serious as it gets in 50 reviews.

Just trying to help you out man, I thought that was what this place was for.

Avalanche, I really do appreciate all your points. If it appears that I am not becoming an instant disciple it does not mean that I'm blowing you off. It's real. It happened. I get that and I take it to heart.

I could probably find negative reviews of 1997 F-150 pickups but mine has never, EVER been in the shop for more than routine service and the recommended routine (50K miles, 75k miles) maintenance. I have 93,000 trouble free miles on it. Now, someone researching 1997 F-150s may read about some guy throwing a rod at 18k miles, or the transmission failing at 22k miles and freak out, totally not considering the other thousands and thousand of trucks out there with no problems.

Now, if I was seeing stats that thousands of T-B log splitters had blown up in the past few years, I would give it much more weight in my decision. This all begs another question... has there never been a cylinder failure on any other make of splitter?

I haven't decided anything at all yet. I won't buy the Pawn shop Cub Cadet unless I can get it for no more than $750- $800. Otherwise, I'll more likely go for the Huskee 22.

Again, thank you, Avalanche, for your determination to get your point across. I am hearing you, my friend.

Okay, I see that now. When I clicked the first link, it started at #49. Rather than start in the middle of the thread I went to post #1 and read from the beginning so that everything would be in context. I did the same for the second link - thought..."wait a minute! I just read this!"

I'm just trying to get a realistic, non-emotional picture of MTD splitters. I'm not saying there haven't been some cylinder problems. I believe that. But, as suggested, I Googled "Troy-Bilt log splitter busted cylinders" and got very few hits, other than the recent ones on the forum and at ********** - also basically referencing the same few people.

50 reviews at Lowes.com and not one mentions cylinder explosion.
One engine failure and a leaking gas tank. That's about as serious as it gets in 50 reviews.

You aint going to get a good review from reading anything at lowes, that aint exactly the home of folks who bust serious wood, use their machine often, and expect 27 tons of force when they buy a 27 ton machine. Lowes primarly caters to folks who want to bust up a cord or two, saw it all up with their little Poulan wild things, cart it to their wood pile with their little garden tractors, and sit in front of their little barbecues and look at their half a cord with some pride while they lie to their neighbors about how the did it all in less than an hour thanks to their trusty wild thing and Troy Bilt splitter. Folks generally buy something at lowes, come back to their website within a month or so, and tell how good or not good it worked. Seriously doubt that anybody puts the thing to the test of the real world, and shows up three years later to let everyone know that the thing lasted three years, four months, six days, two hours, and sixteen seconds before it went bang and scared their eyebrows six laps around their forehead.

Like I said, this is the real world here at AS. We push our machines to the maximum that they were intended to deliver on, and we report back with success or failures. I have split wood with that Troy Bilt for 16 hours straight in a blinding snow storm through some of the worst wood this part of the country had to offer (okay, slight exaggeration, but it sounds good doesnt it?). It delivered right up to the point that it gave up, but boy when it gave up it rendered the machine useless. Not what I expect from a machine that is marketed as a 27 ton machine and runs around in the arena of more promising machine. Like I said before, I have been scoffed at many times around here for running the thing, putting up with the "you aint a serious wood cutter with a machine like that, get you an Iron and Oak or a Speeco and quite fooling around."
I tried to put myself in your shoes, and figured you wanted the gods own truth. for the amount of coin you are figuring to lay out, you can buy a better built machine brand new.Will you have problems with another machine?Of coarse, they are machines after all and they break. But I seriously doubt you are going to experience a breakage with a speeco that will render the machine useless, and if you do you have speeco to stand behind their product.
If you have this problem with a Troy Bilt, its going to cost you $400 for the cylinder.I know, I priced em. Its going to cost you to get that mount cut off, straightened, and re welded back on or a new one will have to be constructed. Then you will have five gallons of hydralic fluid to replace at $12 a gallon.Then you will be right back from where you started. All told, you can plan on a $600 repair bill.
Me, I would start out with something that has proven its place in the real world.

This all begs another question... has there never been a cylinder failure on any other make of splitter

Sure, they are mechanical and they break down. But here is the kicker. A new cylinder for a machine that mounts its cylinder on a full length beam is going to cost you $200, not $400. I have never heard of any other splitter busting a cylinder and wiping out the mounts right along with it.If anyone has, please post it. And generally speaking, you bust a cylinder on a speeco because of a faulty design, speeco stands behind their equipement and has been known to send out replacement parts even though the warranty long expired.
Like I said before, if this happens to a Troy Bilt type splitter, expect to spend some serious coin just to restore it to its previous state, not improved, not fixed permanently, not likely to happen again. And anytime you got more than one guy using the machine, lending it out, sharing it, etc things have a tendency to go wrong, generally in a big way.

Cedarrock, Avalanche posted pictures of his blow out on the thread he mentioned. He also put a link in his above message.

Avalanche, I have read, and re-read your post on the your blow out. I appreciate the cautionary tale. I haven't read of any other incidents like this, though. It does not appear to be epidemic by any means. Most posts by owners of MTD built splitters seem to be pretty happy with them. I know they are not Iron and Oak or Timberwolf or any other high dollar, top of the line splitter. If I had to pay three or four thousand bucks for a splitter I would be forced to split by hand as long as my body holds up. After that I guess I'd just have to turn the heat pumps back on.

I'm not saying your blow out was not a major bummer for you. I just wonder how many such events have happened out of the thousands of MTD splitters sold.

Again, I really do appreciate the warning, though. I'll keep it in mind as I continue my research.

In the thread a year or two ago I think there were 3 instances mentioned. All with the earlier cylinders. The welding was way beefed up. Haven't heard of any of the 'after fix' failings but Avalancher's may be one. From teh amount of wood he put through it, it could easily be the earlier version.

Harry K

It almost seems like you are trying to talk yourself into that Cub splitter. It's true that you will see good and bad about everything you ever buy if you read the internet.

If you really want it.... just go buy it and it may last you a lifetime, it may not.

My Huskee 35T may last me a lifetime, it may not also.

You are always taking a gamble on used stuff... as well as new. A good warranty on new equipment might be 1-2 years. Unless it's a flaw in the original build.... it most likely won't show up in that time frame under homeowner use.

Avalancher said his splitter did something like 300 cords. I'll be long dead before my Huskee 35T ever sees that number unless I sell it to a person that uses it a LOT more then I.

You aint going to get a good review from reading anything at lowes, that aint exactly the home of folks who bust serious wood, use their machine often, and expect 27 tons of force when they buy a 27 ton machine. Lowes primarly caters to folks who want to bust up a cord or two, saw it all up with their little Poulan wild things, cart it to their wood pile with their little garden tractors, and sit in front of their little barbecues and look at their half a cord with some pride while they lie to their neighbors about how the did it all in less than an hour thanks to their trusty wild thing and Troy Bilt splitter. Folks generally buy something at lowes, come back to their website within a month or so, and tell how good or not good it worked. Seriously doubt that anybody puts the thing to the test of the real world, and shows up three years later to let everyone know that the thing lasted three years, four months, six days, two hours, and sixteen seconds before it went bang and scared their eyebrows six laps around their forehead.

Like I said, this is the real world here at AS. We push our machines to the maximum that they were intended to deliver on, and we report back with success or failures. I have split wood with that Troy Bilt for 16 hours straight in a blinding snow storm through some of the worst wood this part of the country had to offer (okay, slight exaggeration, but it sounds good doesnt it?). It delivered right up to the point that it gave up, but boy when it gave up it rendered the machine useless. Not what I expect from a machine that is marketed as a 27 ton machine and runs around in the arena of more promising machine. Like I said before, I have been scoffed at many times around here for running the thing, putting up with the "you aint a serious wood cutter with a machine like that, get you an Iron and Oak or a Speeco and quite fooling around."
I tried to put myself in your shoes, and figured you wanted the gods own truth. for the amount of coin you are figuring to lay out, you can buy a better built machine brand new.Will you have problems with another machine?Of coarse, they are machines after all and they break. But I seriously doubt you are going to experience a breakage with a speeco that will render the machine useless, and if you do you have speeco to stand behind their product.
If you have this problem with a Troy Bilt, its going to cost you $400 for the cylinder.I know, I priced em. Its going to cost you to get that mount cut off, straightened, and re welded back on or a new one will have to be constructed. Then you will have five gallons of hydralic fluid to replace at $12 a gallon.Then you will be right back from where you started. All told, you can plan on a $600 repair bill.
Me, I would start out with something that has proven its place in the real world.

I'm not one to usually quote a post in a thread, but thought I'd point out, that LOWES, owns their website, and all content posted to it. You really dont believe they'll leave an uncomplimentary review up on thier site forever do you? They might leave one up for a while, just to make sure the poster doens't come back later and demand where his flame went to, but then again, its their site, and they can edit content any way they want. Thats why reviews or advice from an independant source such as this is exponentilly more valuable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back