New or used?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey there, I need an opinion is it a better choice to buy a new saw like a husky 340....345....350, stihl 029, or similar size and priced saw, or a used stihl 024...026 ..028, husky 242...257 etc. that is in real good condition? In other words, buy a new "homeowners" saw or used "pro" model? What do you think?

Yukon, I am in the same situation right now. I have a new MS460, and looking for a smaller saw for small stuff like limbing. I have had two new 029's in the last couple of years...too heavy for the horsepower rating. I have resigned myself to wait for the "right" used Pro saw over buying a new homeowners saw. I am looking for a good 026, used.There are a few dealers near me that I check with a couple times a week, and they are watching for one for me. Stihls seem harder to find than husky, used. At least around here. One dealer has two Husky 36's and two 41's for $100 each, used. I am waiting for a Stihl though.

Couldn't help but rub it in! :p
I was going to buy a new 026Pro, even had the dealer set one up for me. Was just waiting on $$$ so I could pick it up ($413+tax). Found a lightly used 026Pro for $300 plus shipping. Has less than 15 or 20 hours on it!
It was shipped today (I hope!) so I should get it Sat or Mon. :D :blob2:

Yukon, I'd wait for a deal on a pro saw. A new cheapo will last a couple years. Good pro saws will run strong for 10 years or more before rebuilding. A good pro saw with less than 6-12 months use will be your best bet if you can find one!

toolmaker, same deal. I've owned a couple 026's and an 024 (all liberated, none died) and think they are solid limbing saws. 024 isn't made anymore, 026 or 028 would probably fit ya well.

Last edited:
used

Wait for the used pro model. Especially if you have a good dealer who will go through them before selling them. I warranty them like a new one and have "eaten " very few.

That's a "no brainer". A low hour used pro saw "trumps" a new consumer saw any day.

Try and buy used locally and in the case of Stihl take a #27 Torx screwdriver with you. Pull the muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder as a minimum. If the outside of the saw looks also looks good than buy it.

Latest posts

Back