New to me Husqvarna 257 - Pics ('cuz I dig it so much)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithandstef

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought this Husky 257 off of Justtools and it's a real beauty. It wasn't very dirty to begin with, but I gave her a real good cleaning and decided to strip the original 20" bar and go kinda industrial. The piston (not pictured) is in perfect condition. The bottom is totally clean/unmarred too. Just a real nice example with 145 PSI cold. It fires up with one choked pull and then the one non-choked pull. Runs and oils awesome. I love the angular body work of these older saws. Anyway, some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks again Justtools!

2pq6ira.jpg

a5ceir.jpg

j962w9.jpg

35iccgj.jpg

69kpw8.jpg

NICE! I actually really like these saws, kind of ol' fashioned goodness you can't get anymore :). This one is immaculate though!

I like that series of Husky as well. I just got a 261 and converted it to a 262XP and I really enjoy that saw.

Real nice saw.

What did you use to strip the bar?

Thanks. I had some stuff called Citristrip in my garage. It claims to be safe on metal and wood, etc, (e.g. maybe not as toxic as other stripping agents). It's pink and in a plastic jug. Spread it on with a brush and left it for about 30 minutes, and then took a plastic spoon and scraped the paint off. Wiped the blade down with paint thinner to get the rest off, and used a toothbrush with thinner to get the crevices. Wiped it all down with WD40 and there it is. I didn't need to shine it at all. Took 45 minutes tops.

An angle grinder with a flapper wheel will do it in 3 minutes. Follow up w/ appliance enamel. WD 40 will evaporate pretty quickly.

That chain is from Lowes and I believe a low kick-back/safety chain. Maybe that's what you guys are saying (that I need a pro chain). I'm not that skilled though to try a pro chain.

ya i'm just teasing ya man, that vanguard chain cuts ok til about half life then it gets real hurt'n. if you are worried about using a pro chain don't be. you can get an oregon LPX low vibe chain that is smooth as it gets and cuts great. you didn't insult me with that ****** chain on that nice bar and i hope i didn't insult you. one things for certain though. a 257 would for sure be insulted to have that chain put on it lol :D nice saw!

ya i'm just teasing ya man, that vanguard chain cuts ok til about half life then it gets real hurt'n. if you are worried about using a pro chain don't be. you can get an oregon LPX low vibe chain that is smooth as it gets and cuts great. you didn't insult me with that ****** chain on that nice bar and i hope i didn't insult you. one things for certain though. a 257 would for sure be insulted to have that chain put on it lol :D nice saw!

LOL. No insult taken by me at all (although the saw is giving you the stink eye right now). You guys are a fun group, and have been a great help. Oregon LPX low vibe. I'll grab one for the next install. I like the idea of outfitting this saw properly. Thanks.

An angle grinder with a flapper wheel will do it in 3 minutes. Follow up w/ appliance enamel. WD 40 will evaporate pretty quickly.

Will appliance enamel build up over time on the areas that don't get as much wear (as I re-apply)? I'm just worried about rust. Although will the bar rust very much? It looks like some sort of stainless steel.

I doubt it's stainless. Just plain carbon. All bars wear the paint. I just sand it off and give it couple coats and not worry about it.

LOL. No insult taken by me at all (although the saw is giving you the stink eye right now). You guys are a fun group, and have been a great help. Oregon LPX low vibe. I'll grab one for the next install. I like the idea of outfitting this saw properly. Thanks.

There are a couple different LPX professional chains on the Oregon site (using the selector chart for my saw). I didn't see one called low vibe. Is this Super 70 the one I should get?

14ij5zs.png

what gauge is you bar. i'd get an LGX myself but the LPX is super smooth. both great chains. LPX has the bumper links for low vibration and lower kick back potential. if you bar is .050 you need a 72LPX/LGX. if it is .058 you will need a 73LPX/LGX

what gauge is you bar. i'd get an LGX myself but the LPX is super smooth. both great chains. LPX has the bumper links for low vibration and lower kick back potential. if you bar is .050 you need a 72LPX/LGX. if it is .058 you will need a 73LPX/LGX

It's .058. OK, got it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back