Next generation Stihl 50cc saw = 254XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redoakranch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I like Stihl but I was looking at saw specs and thought... With the current trend of Stihl 50cc saws getting heavier and more powerfull the specs for the old 254XP just might match the next Stihl 50cc saw. 3.9hp and 11.9lbs.

Just picked up a real real nice thin ring 254 parts saw missing the op, clutch and ccover. Went to my 254 box and bam. Piston was immaculate put on a new ring cause I had one. Did the usual maintenance carb kit, fuel lines and filter. Haven't had time to even start it. Stuck in a hard case for later. IMO 254 is overlooked little "Bad Boy". Get you one you will not be disappointed.
Shep

My favorite saw :rock:

kxCDcjQ.jpg

Don't get me wrong I like Stihl but I was looking at saw specs and thought... With the current trend of Stihl 50cc saws getting heavier and more powerfull the specs for the old 254XP just might match the next Stihl 50cc saw. 3.9hp and 11.9lbs.

3.9 hp is "conservative" power specs for the 254xp. ;)

I ran my my 1st poulan 325 aka partner 5500 back to back with a like new 254xp I picked up. Not much difference in them in the cut or as I seen it, same same. :rock:

254 is 45mm bore and 34mm stroke compared to the 325 having a 46mm bore and 32mm stroke.

Last edited:
I have owned over 20 154-254 xp saws in my logging days. Great saws. One of my all time favorites. Specs, weight and handling of the 261 are similar. I like the 261 better however. Better av and filter.
To me the 261 is what the replacement for the 254 should have been.

Last edited:
The specs varied a little - and 3.9 hp was the lowest rating.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 4.1hp as well but when I posted this the other rating popped up first. I sure do wish I had my Dad's old 254xp, he got rid of it a few years before I got CAD. I was probably 10 years old when he bought it at Guys Saw shop in Pioneer CA. I actually remember being there.

Of course the 550XP and 2253 are setting a somewhat different trend, aren't they? :msp_biggrin:

As I read the OP and the follow up posts, I was hoping no one would state the obvious.

That is the real-world weight of the 261.

Of course the 550XP and 2253 are setting a somewhat different trend, aren't they? :msp_biggrin:

Very much so, and I'd already own one if I didn't keep hearing about how great my 346xp will run when ported. I'll finally get to run a 550xp when my Dad's MS260 wears out in about two years.

I ran my my 1st poulan 325 aka partner 5500 back to back with a like new 254xp I picked up. Not much difference in them in the cut or as I seen it, same same. :rock:

254 is 45mm bore and 34mm stroke compared to the 325 having a 46mm bore and 32mm stroke.

That is a damn good comparison. Now, what one of the two would you say has the wider power band in bone stock trim? I know what one will produce more R's.

A muf mod on both would be an interesting comparison running the same bar and chain on both in the same piece of wood.

That doesn't fit at all with the power ratings - I don't doubt your observations, but random saws with random cutting attachments usually tell very little anyway....:givebeer:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've seen 4.1hp as well but when I posted this the other rating popped up first. I sure do wish I had my Dad's old 254xp, he got rid of it a few years before I got CAD. I was probably 10 years old when he bought it at Guys Saw shop in Pioneer CA. I actually remember being there.

So have I. :givebeer:

Back