Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew what a straight bar was til the early 80's. All we had were bows. Got and still have my first straight bar, craftsman 2.3 with a 14" bar, later changed to a 16" bar. Was used for trimming limbs off the fellen tree. Was faster than the bow and my back didn't bother me then.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info, Steve,
We led sheltered lives in both directions, you with bows and me with bars. I don't do enough cutting now to justify a bow, other than a possible collector saw.
James

Extreme care must be taken when using one and never get comfortable using one either. When you do, that's when you get hurt fast or worse.

I ran a friends 2 bow saws before. The one on the 372 made me uneasy running it.

Everything was happening way to fast and wasnt used to cutting that way.

Maybe on a slower cutting saw. But not at those kind of rpm's for me.

Bow saws.JPG_thumb.png

I ran a friends 2 bow saws before. The one on the 372 made me uneasy running it.

View attachment 832838
Yeah, I agree and do not think a 372 would be fun with a bow.

I had a Poulan 3400 when I first got into the hobby. The kickback scared the hell out of me so I sold it to a good friend who still has it. He'd only used bows before, so it was a good fit. That's ten years ago and I now have three bow saws which I'll use sparingly or as collectors pieces. The Stihl shown above has my preferred type of bow bar, and is especially good for cutting Christmas trees or congested areas. Max.

View attachment 832838
I saw a Poulan 250 i think, with a little trimming bow on it . Does anyone have one ?

You mean the 25D Gary? I have seen one of those with the small bow, fellow wanted too much $$ for it.

It could have been Steve it was when I first started looking for a bow saw. The one I saw I think was under $100 . I would like to have one . Gary

Broke a felling dog bolt off in the hole. Doh!!

Been trying to drill and use an ez-out. So far it hasn't been too easy.

so I went to start this saw the other day and saw that the screw I had put in this was loose. Looking at going helicoil now. Is there sufficient room for me to drill large enough to install the helicoil?

Post up the 358.XXXXXX model number on that top label when you pick it up.

Don't want to be the grey storm cloud, but there’s a good chance that it’s only a fat ring chrome piston 3800, mislabeled as a thin ring 3700.

Sears did pull some really dumb marketing stunts back then...hopefully you’ll get lucky!
I knew there was a chance it could be a 3800 when I bought it, but figured what the hell. From what I've found all the parts are interchangeable except for the p&c. If my 3700 has a bad p or c I wouldnt use used unless they were in damn near perfect shape. Now I gotta check just to know for sure.

Some saws I picked up and went through this spring. Nothing major needing done just fuel lines, filters, carb work, and a small part here and there.

Attachments

• Completed spring 2020 project saws.jpg
    Completed spring 2020 project saws.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Completed spring 2020 project saws 2.jpg
    Completed spring 2020 project saws 2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Completed spring 2020 project saws 3.jpg
    Completed spring 2020 project saws 3.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 23
  • cva lanyard ring.jpg
    cva lanyard ring.jpg