Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice Poulan 306 clone!, with the hard to find tin muffler.

No more Methylene Chloride, thanks EPA, but the remover called Strypeeze is what I’ve used. Didn’t bother magnesium, but that bottom handle strap on the 306/245 is aluminum, so I’d test it first.

It eats up plastic, so be careful around the throttle rod boot, grommets, crank & oil pump cover seals.

Takes everything off...I digress, but that also sounds like my old girlfriend. I sure do miss her! :heart: lol

I see far less 3 shoe on 3750 then 2 shoe and i have had alot of them.

That one on tire isnt mine.

You never know who has changed what. Like this 380. Has a 2 shoe. I always thought all 380's had 3 shoe. So who knows.

One of my type 3 3450 had 3 shoe. But when he broke spring during cutting it got a 2 shoe to get back at it. So now there is a 3450 type 3 with a 2 shoe for sure. ;)

Bottom 3 pics were some 3450 that came through me with 3 shoe. some 54cc

View attachment 832680View attachment 832681View attachment 832682
View attachment 832683View attachment 832684View attachment 832685
Both super pros I had were 2 shoe. I’ve had a lot of these “newer” 54/60cc Poulans in all colors and models. Only one with the 3 shoe so far.

So got the 'ol 3700 fired up yesterday. I let the carb and all hardware soak in Seafoam for just over a day. Threw a rebuild kit in it and it still wouldn't start. So I tore the carb. down again (full of fuel so I know diaphragms were right. The guy I had get it running 8yrs or so had put a weird plug in it, and it ran with that plug. Tried finding a new plug Sat at HD and they didnt have any. Fortunately the Craftsman I picked up had the right one so I threw it and and after a few tugs with throttle FWO she spit and sputtered and away she went. Didnt have anything to cut so only have a rough tune in it right now. Only thing I noticed is that occasionally at full throttle saw acts like it's going to stall, but then it comes right back to full throttle.

Any ideas?

So got the 'ol 3700 fired up yesterday. I let the carb and all hardware soak in Seafoam for just over a day. Threw a rebuild kit in it and it still wouldn't start. So I tore the carb. down again (full of fuel so I know diaphragms were right. The guy I had get it running 8yrs or so had put a weird plug in it, and it ran with that plug. Tried finding a new plug Sat at HD and they didnt have any. Fortunately the Craftsman I picked up had the right one so I threw it and and after a few tugs with throttle FWO she spit and sputtered and away she went. Didnt have anything to cut so only have a rough tune in it right now. Only thing I noticed is that occasionally at full throttle saw acts like it's going to stall, but then it comes right back to full throttle.

Any ideas?
Napa or other auto parts store should have a plug for it.

Well I am taking this 3400 and changing it to 3700. I have NOS rings for it so those will go on it too. So today I got the piston switched over and lowered the squish to .022". I also opened up the plastic intake manifold. So next will be to port the cylinder and modify the muffler.

Removing old piston.
IMG_1415.JPG

3700 piston installed with the new rings laying there. I left them off until I got the squish set.
IMG_1420.JPG

Well I am taking this 3400 and changing it to 3700. I have NOS rings for it so those will go on it too. So today I got the piston switched over and lowered the squish to .022". I also opened up the plastic intake manifold. So next will be to port the cylinder and modify the muffler.

Removing old piston.
View attachment 834684

3700 piston installed with the new rings laying there. I left them off until I got the squish set.
View attachment 834685

Looking forward to see what you do with the cylinder. I've got a junk 3400 jug and two nice ones to learn on before a 4000 jug gets it. Hopefully will be a Duke jug

Removing old piston.
View attachment 834684

View attachment 834685
Roger, seeing your piston tool in use, reminded me of the one I have that are friend Nik Tesla machined a couple adapters for me. One for pushing the pin and one for pushing the bearing. Handiest thing to have when working on the old midsize Poulans.

Gregg,

Poulan Piston Tool 005.jpgPoulan Piston Tool 004.jpg

Well they are waiting for things to calm down so a piston can be made and I can test it in the cylinder that l have to make sure they work without a problem. Then we really can have confidence that the set will be good and get them out to the public. Hope this happens before the end of this year.

Back