Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soaked all removable parts in purple power , chiseled and scraped with 10 cans of brake cleaner and a can of electric cleaner. I found a pinched ignition wire between the starter cover and body which probably lead to the disposal of the saw. Also it was crushed some time in its past. The top cover post was welded and the cover was obviously broken.
Paint,carb kit,fuel line,fuel filter,and tank breather .20200712_103217.jpg20200712_104241.jpg20200712_104249.jpg20200712_104302.jpg

I was at an old garage once and there was an incredibly slow electric motor with a hacksaw attached to it, the guy would clamp a piece of steel in and walk away. When the blade dropped out of the piece it would hit the switch and shut down.
When I worked heavy equipment and cranes in the '60's, we had a purpose built hacksaw like you described. The elec. motor wasn't slow, but it had a high reduction gearbox and crankshaft to run the hacksaw blade. We mainly used it to cut pipe and small structural steel. It saved a lot of work with regular hacksaws and cutting torches.
ilovechainsaws

Soaked all removable parts in purple power , chiseled and scraped with 10 cans of brake cleaner and a can of electric cleaner. I found a pinched ignition wire between the starter cover and body which probably lead to the disposal of the saw. Also it was crushed some time in its past. The top cover post was welded and the cover was obviously broken.
Paint,carb kit,fuel line,fuel filter,and tank breather .View attachment 841966View attachment 841967View attachment 841968View attachment 841969
Your first pictures looked like it had been in a fire.
ilovechainsaws

Needs a touch of tuning but that Dam Pecan has become almost petrified in the sun! I need some oak or maple logs.

Well done that man :)

What a saw. Unreal find happy for you and the saw too and all of us for seeing it.

Paint,carb kit,fuel line,fuel filter,and tank breather .View attachment 841966View attachment 841967View attachment 841968View attachment 841969
Sweet!! A bow would go right on there . What type of paint did you use?

Sweet!! A bow would go right on there . What type of paint did you use?
Well I'm gonna save my bow for the 4200 i have but I got seals and bearings to replace in it ,not terrible but enough for me to replace them.
I just went down to the auto parts store and found automotive quality rustoem paint in gloss black and I was looking for " Sublime green" but I got neon green . I realized that it's not a match for the weird yellow/green the poulan used but it'll help protect the metal.

View attachment 842485
Heres the clutch cover I got thays not bow modified.

You prob already know this, but Joe at Sugar Creek makes 4200 & 5200 decal kits for that saw. He also recently separated the clutch cover decals out from the kits, as those are always torn up.

Really dresses them up!

Heres my spray bomb repainted & relabelled spare covers, wrinkles & all, lol.

8C11BD00-01C7-4BF3-B8F9-4C6E38801C75.jpeg

You prob already know this, but Joe at Sugar Creek makes 4200 & 5200 decal kits for that saw. He also recently separated the clutch cover decals out from the kits, as those are always torn up.

Really dresses them up!

Heres my spray bomb repainted & relabelled spare covers, wrinkles & all, lol.

View attachment 842587
Yeah thats a good idea, I've heard though that the decal kits take forever to get.

Back