Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might want to lean it out just a bit!
Great save on a great old saw!!!
Leaned it out a 1/16th of a turn, and boy did that make a difference! Feels like its trying to get away from me now.
I'm always alittle cautious with that on old saws , the bore definitely tells how much dirt and sawdust this saw has ingested over the years . Still pulls harder than my Pro Mac 700 which it should at 85ccs .

This is the 4200 I was given in a package deal ,it came with a bow.
The original hs carburetor was pretty bad so I converted an aftermarket husqvarna to it.
The crank moves just a touch from left to right so seals and bearings are in the box with it.
Does anyone know anything I should be aware of when changing them out?

If you're close to the area a Poulan 5200 w/ 28" bar and bow bar.
43d0b6b5a2224c5f5f552fc845d32725.jpg
983d88d2b86121454cd6d20c9aad487e.jpg

Homelite collector in training! [emoji879]

Picked up nine saws a few weeks ago and this was one of the two Poulans. I like the 2300 as I have some craftsman versions. Put a 12" 3\8 bar on it, high heat paint with an oven bake today, Need to get some better nonsafety chain.
After drilling two broken screws on the starter cover side and retapping, new fuel line, clean carb and new pump side gasket she's a runner and runs very well. Piston/Cylinder thru exhaust looked brand new. Carb was never removed. For $17.77 and two fifty cent screws bought, I'm ok.

Attachments

• Poulan 2300_7_16_2020.jpg
    Poulan 2300_7_16_2020.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Poulan 2300_7_16_2020 2.jpg
    Poulan 2300_7_16_2020 2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Poulan 2300_7_16_2020 3.jpg
    Poulan 2300_7_16_2020 3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 17
Changing the bearings in a 5200 is not that hard. Make sure you have a gasket for the case halves. Get the case split, after all the bolts are removed it just pulls apart. The bearings are not pressed on the crankshaft. Heat your oven to 300 degrees and put the case halves in with the inside facing down. After about 15 minutes see if they well drop out, a light tap will a wood dowel on the inner race. If they don't come out give them 10 more minutes. Don't beat the hell out of them, they will almost fall out when hot enough.
Put them in the same way but inside is up. You can put them in the freezer for a hour before you try and install them.

Picked up nine saws a few weeks ago and this was one of the two Poulans. I like the 2300 as I have some craftsman versions. Put a 12" 3\8 bar on it, high heat paint with an oven bake today, Need to get some better nonsafety chain.
After drilling two broken screws on the starter cover side and retapping, new fuel line, clean carb and new pump side gasket she's a runner and runs very well. Piston/Cylinder thru exhaust looked brand new. Carb was never removed. For $17.77 and two fifty cent screws bought, I'm ok.
What kind of paint did you use? Looks pretty close to factory poulan green

What kind of paint did you use? Looks pretty close to factory poulan green
Marine Piper is correct, just painted the bar, Rustoleum HIgh Heat Ultra......then baked it. It was just what I had on hand and almost empty. Painted it for no reason except the bar was rusty and you couldn't make out the Poulan script anylonger.

What paint do you guys use that you find matches up pretty close to the poulan green? No special mix stuff, just regular in the can stuff I'd be looking for thanks

Seems pricey for the 80's
I've PO's receipts for a few saws over the years. Late 70's and early 80's made for very expensive saws given the typical earning potential for folks. Using the Bank of Canada inflation calculator, these prices would amount to princely sums in today's dollars. I like to keep this perspective when picking up the old saws. Particularly from the original owner's. They likely dropped a good portion of a month or more salary to pick up a decent machine.

A couple that were easy to find....

1980 Farmsaw $316.95 $1113.22
1982 Farmsaw $389.95 $1090.70
Dad's 1979 Echo CS-1001VL $489.95 $1881.21 ; 1979 New 72LPG 81DL chain $33.75 $129.59

I still have some of my dad's used chains from 1979/80. They were filed down to nothing. Well past what would be the witness marks on a modern chain. He only fell and blocked on the spot. Clean cutting. Imagine paying $130 for a 24" loop of Oregon these days.

Minimum wage in BC around '79-'82 hovered at $3-3.40. With that in consideration, I think the inflation calculator is understating the real cost back then. Approximately 100+ hours at minimum wage to buy a Farmsaw. And then tax on top of that. At today's minimum wage, those adjusted prices for the same 100 hours worked today would be over $1700 with tax. The '79 Echo would be a $2780 purchase today!!! Makes something like a new 362 a downright steal with today's earning potential.

The cost of these old saws certainly puts in perspective, my first roofing job was 2.75 hr then I remember when minimum wage jumped to 4.75 an hour! I just turned 16.
I think the earning potential with an investment in a saw was a little bit better 40 years ago though. I don't think most of us were living in such a litigation society back then.
Drop a couple of trees and pay for the saw , now pay insurance, business licenses and permits for work.

What paint do you guys use that you find matches up pretty close to the poulan green? No special mix stuff, just regular in the can stuff I'd be looking for thanks

If your not picky like me. Being it is a chainsaw that gets used. Not to look at on the shelf queen status.

$5 can of spray paint.

Green I used on my 505 was good enough for me. Not perfect but close enough for saws that get used and cut wood still.

Key lime little lighter is what I used but also another one in this thread at end for older poulans that had that darker shade. Pics showing colors there too. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/poulan-lime-green-paint/

p505gr.jpegp54p505xx.jpg

Here's some other comparisons with the same paint Key Lime I just used on a grey starter cover for the saw on the right. It didn't come close to matching it but the grey was too much to bare.
Just to repeat I did not paint the 2300 saw on the left mentioned a few comments up.

Attachments

• key lime paint.jpg
    key lime paint.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 16
  • key lime paint2.jpg
    key lime paint2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 16
Two wild things this morning. This guy was out in the boonies so his “free saws” ad actually lasted 18 hours before I was able to get out there and pick them up. Ironically he had three and the first dude only took one. Poor fellow must not gave contracted CAD.

Question: which other models do these share parts with?

414CB861-D792-4DDB-B9E2-866BC931ED93.jpeg

Probably all the 402cc series if stato charged, minus the frame and maybe the top handle. And possibly the top cover may not fit others. I believe the engine might be the same along with the fuel system and ignition system.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back