Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1, we lost them due to “value added” changes to lower the cost, to hell with function & engineering...or what the owner/operator wanted, lol.

Its all a big scam. Looking in the latest husky flyer right now and a 435 is 800nz a 450 is 1300 from my understanding they are same saw with a different top end. Is there really 500 bucks in the extra material for the bigger cylinder n piston?

I drool over a manual oiler, hope all your Poulan saws that you collect have one!
I dont collect saws. I just go for saws that I like and run no matter the brand.

I end up with lots of them because you cant buy parts at dealers. So I end up with bunches of the same saws that are the good ones IMO.

I dont mill so no need for extra bar oil.

Also I try to not run to long of a bar for a saw smaller cc size. Unless I am testing if it can do it and still oil using auto oiler .

Only time I have needed a manual oiler is when a crappy auto oiler dont work right like on some of the 3400 etc. JMO

Didnt use the override even on the big saws in 3120 084 and no clue if my 166's had it. Prob did but if auto works all I need.

My echos had them all the way down to 45cc to 80cc. Never used it.

All I need is a good auto oiler.

But if you like them good. Thats why we can make all of our own life's choices many times in our lifetime. :cheers:

80cc top and 45cc bottom had them never used manual oilers.

e800v.jpge450.jpg

Done for now doing the back exit and front exit mufflers for saws sold.

These are the front exit ones I had left over. They are matched with their right oem back halves.
One has seen better days. But a guy knowing how to weld can fix that one easy.

pdpmufflers.jpg

So just thought i'd post this for those interested and hopefully it will help somebody down the road.. If they find it in this 2800 page thread...LOL

I finally got around to converting my worn out 3400 to a 3800. ( and hopefully to a 4000 if a P/C ever comes available for a respectable price).

I made a homemade piston pin puller/pusher and it worked great.

So some backstory... My wife's grandfather brought me this 3400 one day that he found at the dump. It looked fairly clean...had spark but would not start so a $10 carb rebuild and I had it running.. it ran and cut OK but not great..did not pull very hard.. had low compression. only 90psi when hot.. So I found a 3800 parts saw for $35. P/C looked good.
Getting ready for the swapPXL_20210427_154913616.jpg

So the wrist pin puller I made is nothing more than an m5 threaded rod with a nut made solid on one end. an m5 bolt would be ideal, but I could not find one long enough so I made this. on the other end is simply a nut (or 2 to lock it if needed). I ran the rod through a socket with a neoprene washer between the socket and the piston. I put a heavy washer over the socket just to brace it up a lil.
PXL_20210427_200905992.jpg

Once you tighten the nut down against the pin, just make sure it is not on the bearings and then you simply turn the solid not on the end and it pulls the pin out into the socket.
PXL_20210427_201056718.jpg
Just make sure the nut slides through the bearings
PXL_20210427_201213886.jpg
Then just start cranking the solid end and it pulls right through into the socket

PXL_20210427_201818904.jpg

Got both of them out in less than 5 minutes a piece

Installation is the same process, just pull the pin right into position
PXL_20210427_211215416.jpg

Squish was pretty big on this .05 or so, so I deleted the base gasket. Got it all put back together and up and running tonight. I have not put it in wood yet. might do that tomorrow. Give the motoseal a lil more time to cure and I want to idle it a bit more to let all the new parts get to know each other a little bit more.
PXL_20210427_234505762.jpg

I'm a big fan of the 3800 because they are so under rated and nobody wants them. It only takes a few minutes to square up the top of the exhaust port and open the muffler like a 4000 and you have a very nice wood cutter that will pull a 20 inch bar with the 61cc it has. It's not a screamer like a 3700 but it's not far away.

Done for now doing the back exit and front exit mufflers for saws sold.

These are the front exit ones I had left over. They are matched with their right oem back halves.
One has seen better days. But a guy knowing how to weld can fix that one easy.

View attachment 903759

That was a total surprise that they were on everyone's wanted list.

All 4 front exit mufflers spoke for.

Last 2 I did doing them with front and back half exits.

p3450dp.jpg

That was a total surprise that they were on everyone's wanted list.

All 4 front exit mufflers spoke for.

Last 2 I did doing them with front and back half exits.

View attachment 903890

Kevin , does this muffler have a pipe welded to the back half or is that a hood over a side hole ?
Scott

Kevin , does this muffler have a pipe welded to the back half or is that a hood over a side hole ?
Scott
When you add the back halves with exit to front covers with exit. If you have a back half with tube you remove them. Seen both styles.

Only makes since to do this being your doing a dual port muffler mod.

p3450ttttt.jpg

You like banana bars? They drive me crazy! Every one I’ve come across have the bottom rails shot and top like new.

A banana bar with a like new top rail would make a nice tool for sharpening chains . Just cut to desired length to use with your bench vise .

The model number of your wild thing would help .
+1

It uses the same common fuel line kit as the trimmers & weedeaters, so Woodslasher you just need to go look on fleabay...

Chainsaw 530037793 Gas Saw Fuel Line Kit

2 feet 6616 (530069216) Fuel Line Hose I.D. 0.080” by O.D. 0.140”(2mmx3.5mm)
2 feet 6617 (530069247) Fuel Line Hose I.D. 3/32” by O.D. 3/16”(2.5mmx5mm)

I know you can’t find old threads any more since the AS search engine was phucked with & only accepts four letters/numbers & up...but there are old posts about the line sizes.

My bad, it's 358.351610

Much better .

That saw looks like my pp4018 and a friends pp4218 .
I don't know about the newer wildthings but I did the dougand3 fuel line drill the tank mod on my friends pp4218 and it worked nice . Ya gotta remove the carb to drill the tank .

Much better .

That saw looks like my pp4018 and a friends pp4218 .
I don't know about the newer wildthings but I the dougand3 fuel line drill the tank mod on my friends pp4218 and it worked nice . Ya gotta remove the carb to drill the tank .
Carb's already off, should I even try rebuilding it or just buy a new one?

Back