Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 years of use at 15 dollars initial at today's cost. equals $1 a year. Yep well worth it IMHO.

I have 3 of them. 1 has bar oil in it and 2 for mix.

I dont think I paid that. But quality tool they are. ;)

I have plastic eye droppers for other uses. Just not for mix though.

p3516cc.jpg

A few bucks cheaper, just not through tsc
bcf09ff2ece563d23b704d6c4125a884.jpg

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Just curious to those that own 3700s and 4000s how much power difference between the two saws being 4 cc’s different?

I’ve got 2 3700’s and they run awesome! I’ve always wanted a 4000 but I paid 25 dollars for one 3700 and the other was free. I’ve seen people on eBay that want 300 and 450 for a 4000 so just wondering how much more saw it was.

I’ve got 2 3700’s and they run awesome! I’ve always wanted a 4000 but I paid 25 dollars for one 3700 and the other was free. I’ve seen people on eBay that want 300 and 450 for a 4000 so just wondering how much more saw it was.
Thats ebay prices.

I sold my 2 4000's for 150 and 200 both running.

Lot of folks like to over hype and gouge folks with prices IMHO. Be patient one will drop in your lap.
I have passed up many for same prices I sold at.

Yeah I figured they probably would never get those kind of prices. I have never run a 4000 so I didn’t know how much stronger it was than a 3700. My 3700s are strong saws with just a base gasket delete, I’m sure after I open up the muffler they will be even better.

For what it is worth, I have never noticed much in the way of gains by opening up the mufflers on any of the 3400's I've run. Maybe drilling out the diffuser helps. But, additional front ports or side gills have not. Base gasket and slight timing advance for certain. If anything, I find them harder to start after the muffler modification compared to ones I have kept stock. Your mileage may vary on the higher compression 3700/4000, though. Opening up the intake manifold and exhaust are a different story.

Yeah I’ll just have to do the muffler and see what happens. Was thinking something along the lines of a 5200 poulan muffler. Timing advance isn’t it like 1/32 or something off the flywheel key? I’ve read it somewhere but can’t remember how much to take off or which side of the key to take it off of. To my original question though how much stronger is a stock 4000 vs stock 3700?

Yeah I figured they probably would never get those kind of prices. I have never run a 4000 so I didn’t know how much stronger it was than a 3700. My 3700s are strong saws with just a base gasket delete, I’m sure after I open up the muffler they will be even better.
Man, you'de have a hard time telling them apart. Beast way to open muffler id to enlarge the diffuser holes and add a side exhaust similar to the 4000 muffler

Yeah I’ll just have to do the muffler and see what happens. Was thinking something along the lines of a 5200 poulan muffler. Timing advance isn’t it like 1/32 or something off the flywheel key? I’ve read it somewhere but can’t remember how much to take off or which side of the key to take it off of. To my original question though how much stronger is a stock 4000 vs stock 3700?
If you notice a lot of the responses are saying to increase exhaust opening, increase compression, better air intake, etc. Those are generally great for any saw, not just 3700 or 4000. Those things listed are things that are already different between those two models, not just 3cc. Some years ago i did a bunch of compression tests on my saws. The 4000's were generally the highest, even over the 3700.
All that being said, probably not gonna be much noticeable difference in real world cutting out in the woods, between the two. Those are saws I generally use most of the time, and I be hard pressed to to tell the difference if some how blind folded, while cutting. LOL I have said many times that the 4000 is my favorite and most used Poulan. So I am biased somewhat.

I have often wondered why Poulan after coming out with the 3400, first in that midsize line of saws, and was real popular, naturally came along with a bigger saw with "improvements" The 3700 came next. Soon followed by the 4000. Almost in my mind like they were saying this saw has the better, more improved, features, of what we wished we had made on the 3700. Seeing how close they are in size, cc wise. I love them both, but will always vote for the 4000 as the better or more desirable of the two. Just one mans opinion.

I will add, that I use 20" bars on both. I have used a 24" on a 4000 and works ok. Never tried on a 3700, so don't know how that would go.

poulans 386.jpg3700Poulan 003.jpg

Gregg,

Thanks for all the replies. I still want a 4000 really bad but I guess the 2 3700s I’ve got while not nearly as clean as yours they aren’t too shabby and cut very well.

Attachments

• 664C8C48-9216-4D78-906A-CFBFB4CD07B9.jpeg
    664C8C48-9216-4D78-906A-CFBFB4CD07B9.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 9C5DAAB2-2999-4006-B3CA-C4BA726942A3.jpeg
    9C5DAAB2-2999-4006-B3CA-C4BA726942A3.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 17
Thanks for all the replies. I still want a 4000 really bad but I guess the 2 3700s I’ve got while not nearly as clean as yours they aren’t too shabby and cut very well.
Hi, I see your two 3700's are not identical. Does one come with a chain brake? Any other differences, or advantages one over the other?
Didn't see the two options on the acresinternet database, so I thought I'd ask.

Ijpom, welcome to AS and Nik's Poulan Thread. Chain brakes were an option from the factory or via a factory kit from a dealer. It included the drive cover and spring operated hand guard or flag if you will, decals, and a small piece of plastic to replace a plastic handguard found on the cylinder cover. I may post pictures later as I'm in the field right now. These brakes fit all of the Poulan Countervibe saws in the 3400-4000 series. Colors vary from lime green, yellow, red, and grey/silver. I got "wrapped around the axle" and acquired many chain brakes and NOS kits so my Daughter's could cut with me when they were younger. Great saws, great safety measure, and grab one when you can. Max.

Back