No pressure or vacuum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k nystrom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old 044 that puked a wrist pin clip and seized, and while I had it torn down, the seals looked a little hinky and the bearings felt just a wee bit rough so I decided to go for it and learn how to rebuild it.

I got the case apart, put the bearings in and got the shaft and case back together. I got the seals in correctly I thought, and new meteor piston and cylinder. All proud of myself :) seal2.jpg seal1.jpg Now I went to pressure test it and got nothing. NO pressure whatsoever this morning. (like pumping as hard as i can and the needle on the gauge didn't move).

I dunked it in water and it was very obvious the clutch side seal was leaking. So I'm on my third seal... and still no damn pressure.
Does this look right? actually now that I look at the pic, one side looks too far down... damn it. crank still turns fine.

OK, now that I'm studying these pics... that rubber part is supposed to go in between the crank and the bearing race, correct? So obviously it's not. I just put the worm gear with that sleeve down in there, and it sits in the rubber part of the seal, but shouldn't it hold pressure without the clutch holding everything down?

I have the oil pump and worm gear back in. OK, I'm putting the clutch back on now and we'll see what happens... OK! clutch on and much better. Still a very slight pressure leak, even less on the vacuum, but I think I have one more time getting that seal right, and then he'll go back together.... Thank you all!

OK, so Thanksgiving got in my way... but an update on this thing. I DID IT!!! Damn thing runs and everything! I redid the clutch side seal one last time, and then put him all back together carefully, and damn near peed myself when he fired up. Thanks once again for all your help, as this would not have been accomplished without all your helpful posts

Latest posts

Back