Normal operation of bucket truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kgw51gmc

94 c3500 hd boat anchor
Reaction score
My bucket truck hydraulic pump runs off double v belt pulley on truck engine (6.5l diesel) crankshaft. There's a 12 volt pump as a backup. Truck is currently not running, but will be this spring.

Many wires are missing, so won't be electrical controls yet, hydraulic all intact and was obviously ran this way previously for years.
Does the electrical control box change rpm on truck when running pump or does it idle right on thru?

When I get truck running and start on bucket wiring, I'm just wondering how it should work.

There is a high idle wire that can can be energized on the PCM for running auxiliary pumps or bumping up RPM for more alternator charge. Should not require a control box, unless it is just a relay to do so when the hydraulics are being used/automatically bumping truck RPM when seeing loads. Many people wire it up to a switch so they can get high idle for quick warmups.

I've used the truck for trimming a few trees and chimney repairs. The 6.5 Detroit runs fine now. That high idle wire is the purple wire on the CPU. I disonnected it and the truck idles so low it sounds like it's going to stall, then reconnect purple wire and truck is basically on a fast idle. Wish it would idle normal like my other 6.5 in my 97.. . (Both have "fresh" Pensacola diesel IP's, relocated PMD's etc. Both in good health).
When I raise the ETA Palfinger boom up, when it gets to various points above half way up, or towards the top the truck will kick into low idle and it sounds like it's struggling to stay running, like the pump is dead-heading.
All I do to turn on the electric clutch driven pump on the truck engine is vice grip the wire from the clutch to the + post on the battery. The control box is totally abandoned on the driver's side fender. There couldn't be any safety switches or anything activating. It's a little nerve racking when you get high up and the boom slows down a lot and the truck sounds like it's under really heavy load. The INSTANT I stop and drop the bucket back down an INCH it'll resume normal high idle and I can sometimes just go on up. OR--I just get mad and keep going up anyway and it'll get "through" whatever fit it's having.
It does not seem to be isolated to either the uppor or lower cylinder operation...., I rebuilt the upper cylinder during the great ressurection. ANY IDEAS?
I'm located in Waynesburg, PA (north of Morgantown, WV). If any of you guys are located close, let's hang out and check this unit out some. I raise beef cattle so it'll be a good thing to stop by.....

on my f-700, at one time there was a sol. on the carb an a wire running all the way to the bucket to a switch so you could do fast idle til you were up, then hit switch for regular idle , ---- right now none of this works and not a lot of the other stuff works either. In the spring I gotta figure what all the lines are for, where they go and check the control valve operation.

Latest posts

Back