not sure if this has been done before

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
Reaction score
woke up this morning to a little snow and told myself today was a saw day. currently all my saws are top notch so nothing to do there but i do got a poulan 4200 which has issues. i got this saw at the beginning of the year. it ran ok at first but soon started acting up. replaced the crank seals for the hell of it. being an old saw, it don't hurt. played with that saw for a few days trying to figure it out but couldn't get it to run right. ran pig rich no matter what i did. everything in the carb checked out fine. i believe it was pulling unmetered fuel from somewhere. anyways decided today that i would fit a different carb onto it. had a bit of a selection and decided a WJ39 off a 394 would do the trick. here is the 394 carb installed and functional. the umpulse hole was a direct line up.

IMG_0196.JPG

the only thing i gotta figure out is to make the idle adjustable without removing the cover and a guide so it's not a chore getting a screwdriver on the H/L adjustment screws. i'm not to worried about it at the moment. see how it runs first and i believe modifying a guide and drilling the case where the idle screw is on the carb will make it good to go. everything else is functional. the plastic high idle lever on this carb was broken but that don't matter cause the poulan throttle has a lock in the handle.
The original choke lever was plastic and the 394 choke hook up on the carb was set differently on the shaft so to make life easy i just took a spare 3120 choke lever i had laying around which i cut shorter and bent to work flawlessly. it don't come off the carb while operating either. oh ya. forgot to mention the throttle also works flawlessly. goes from idle to WOT with no binding or anything. here's a pic of the original and 3120 lever i modified.

IMG_0194.JPG

a pic of the saw beside the original carb

IMG_0197.JPG

the one thing that"s stopping me from running it is the 394 carb i used desperately needs a carb kit. my buddy bought a non running 394 and it was soon noticed that an idiot once had this carb apart so i swapped him another 394 carb i had for it. i'll let you guys know how it runs when i get a carb kit. checked the husky dealer and they don't have one. they tell me it could be weeks before they even fill a minimum order :( this little project only took about 20-25min. i even threw a new husky fuel filter on the end of a new line for good luck :D

looks like you did a lot of work I hope it all works well for ya Good job.

for real. the only thing that was work in the first part was cutting and bending the 3120 choke lever. also a little bit of bending the poulan throttle rod. everything else was bolt and play. even used the WJ39 throttle and choke shafts. i was gonna put it on the shelf and forget about it til i get a carb kit but decided after a bit of tinkering with a 61 husky i just got to carry on with it. i took a 394 adjustment screw guide i had in a pile aparts and shaved it down to fit the poulan. also drilled the case and notched the idle screw. it can now be adjusted with the cylinder cover on.
now i'm really wanting a carb kit :(

IMG_0199.JPG

Back