If I wasn't so manly, I'd be crying! Echo 346

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:eek: I picked up this saw thinking I could fix it. seems like decent compression, but couldn't start it. Rebuilt the carb (what a PIA getting the carb back in and working completely blind, trying to locate the screw holes and hoping the gasket was in place) Got it in, got it to fire and run little bit, but only if its choked, when I open the choke up, it dies. The other thing that's odd, is it doesn't seem to respond to the throttle. I know the lever is moving, but no throttle response at all! anyone ever had one of these saws?

Check fuel lines, purge, & filter.
If the gasket between the carb & inlet isn't in place properly you will have an air leak & little to no impulse getting to the carb which will cause similar symptoms to what you're experiencing

I rebuilt the carb on my 306 which is the same design and don't remember it being that difficult. yes, it's in a box like compartment which is not as easy. neat little saw.

I'm hoping I figured out at least part of the problem. I pulled the carb again to check if the gasket was in place behind it, don't know as the gasket fell down once I removed the carb. I discovered a small wood chip lodged in the reed valve. Would that be enough to prevent the throttle response. and make it run on choke only? I removed the reed valve and cleaned it some, and reinstalled it. ( it has some kind of worn out foam gasket around the edges, that's probably 40 years old and a liitle tired. I hope that's not terribly important. Im hoping assembly will be easier tomorrow as I glued the gasket to the back of the carb with a tiny amount of yamabond. Hoping it will run again soon

I'm hoping I figured out at least part of the problem. I pulled the carb again to check if the gasket was in place behind it, don't know as the gasket fell down once I removed the carb. I discovered a small wood chip lodged in the reed valve. Would that be enough to prevent the throttle response. and make it run on choke only? I removed the reed valve and cleaned it some, and reinstalled it. ( it has some kind of worn out foam gasket around the edges, that's probably 40 years old and a liitle tired. I hope that's not terribly important. Im hoping assembly will be easier tomorrow as I glued the gasket to the back of the carb with a tiny amount of yamabond. Hoping it will run again soon
Yes it will cause a problem having the reed held open. Make sure, when you re install it, you either use some sealant on that face where the foam gasket or make another gasket for it. Otherwise you’ll get an air leak.

Yes it will cause a problem having the reed held open. Make sure, when you re install it, you either use some sealant on that face where the foam gasket or make another gasket for it. Otherwise you’ll get an air leak.
Check some parts suppliers, the gasket is probably still available.

Latest posts

Back