Echo 440 EVL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on an Echo 440 EVL which I can't get to run except on a prime then it dies quickly. Carb has been rebuilt but upon my inspection I noticed no pulse coming from the impulse line. I pulled on it and it seemed to be hooked up but I couldn't see the end of it nearest the engine. I blew through the line and it wasn't stopped up. Not sure what to do next, hate to tear the whole saw down just to find the line probably hooked up anyway. Saw seems to have good compression but I checked the impulse again and it's just not there. Any ideas?

This is about a 30+ year old saw isn't it? It seems more than a possibility the impulse line has dry rot or cracks at this point. Also a possibility your crank seals aren't as great as they used to be and that's creating some issues as well.

It may be a pain in the butt, but speaking as the owner of an old Echo myself- you're due for line replacements, new filters, vacuum test, new carb internals (which it sounds like you've already done), etc. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

This is about a 30+ year old saw isn't it? It seems more than a possibility the impulse line has dry rot or cracks at this point. Also a possibility your crank seals aren't as great as they used to be and that's creating some issues as well.

It may be a pain in the butt, but speaking as the owner of an old Echo myself- you're due for line replacements, new filters, vacuum test, new carb internals (which it sounds like you've already done), etc. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
No, someone else started rebuilding the carb then fueled it up and said it didn't run well after it had run a while. They then handed it off to me. I assumed it might just need a tank vent and it did, but then when I tried to run it the saw wouldn't run without a prime. If I could get into the impulse line I'd look at it but I'm not sure how to do it other than maybe remove the plastic fuel tanks and look inside the metal housing for it, not sure I'd see it then. Echo sure didn't make their saws to be easy to work on!

It shouldn't be that hard, the impulse line comes off the left side of the carb and through the upper plastic directly into the top of the left hand crankcase. If you remove the pull starter assembly on the side and expose the flywheel you can probably see where it connects. Disconnect and fish a new one through- could potentially be a 15 minute job.

I'd also add the impulse line is only $3.
I'm thinking you may have this model of Echo mixed up with another model. I've had the starter off and didn't see an impulse line and even used a flashlight to try to find it. It goes into the top of the crankcase on the bar/chain side behind the metal bulkhead and there it disappears. I tried taking the other (clutch) cover off and couldn't see it from that side either. Looks like a $3 line with $500 worth of labor.. It was an Echo dealer that gave it to me to work on.

I'm thinking you may have this model of Echo mixed up with another model. I've had the starter off and didn't see an impulse line and even used a flashlight to try to find it. It goes into the top of the crankcase on the bar/chain side behind the metal bulkhead and there it disappears. I tried taking the other (clutch) cover off and couldn't see it from that side either. Looks like a $3 line with $500 worth of labor.. It was an Echo dealer that gave it to me to work on.
I referenced a parts schematic for the stated model which has the impulse line going into the left side crankcase.

I also just looked at a Youtube video of that model that shows the same thing. Is this your saw?

I referenced a parts schematic for the stated model which has the impulse line going into the left side crankcase.

I also just looked at a Youtube video of that model that shows the same thing. Is this your saw?

Yes, that looks like it. Mine goes out the left in the carb box but after it goes through the hole in the bulkhead it goes to the top of the crankcase on the other side of it where you can't see it. I'll try to find that youtube video and see what's going on..thanks!

I saw that youtube video and the top of the saw looks just like the one I'm working on. I guess there's something I'm not seeing because when I take the side cover off you can't see that hose other than a small amount of it going down the right side. The diagram of the crankcase shows a nipple for the hose in the crankcase on the right (chain) side of the saw just above the crankshaft sticking up. Other than taking the thing all apart I don't see a way of replacing that hose.

I saw that youtube video and the top of the saw looks just like the one I'm working on. I guess there's something I'm not seeing because when I take the side cover off you can't see that hose other than a small amount of it going down the right side. The diagram of the crankcase shows a nipple for the hose in the crankcase on the right (chain) side of the saw just above the crankshaft sticking up. Other than taking the thing all apart I don't see a way of replacing that hose.
Here's an image of a 440evl crankcase assy, the barb on the right is for the oiler hose, and the left is the impulse hose barb.s-l960.jpg

I'm having similar but not quite the same trouble with an Echo 500 EVL. I've tried two carbs that were rebuilt and neither works. It will start and run for awhile and then when you shut it off, it's impossible to start it again. Compression is 140 psi and it has a good spark. I have two that run fine so my "solution" was to keep and run those two and send this one to my parts bone yard. Parts for these 42-year old EVL saws are scarce as hens teeth.

I'm having similar but not quite the same trouble with an Echo 500 EVL. I've tried two carbs that were rebuilt and neither works. It will start and run for awhile and then when you shut it off, it's impossible to start it again. Compression is 140 psi and it has a good spark. I have two that run fine so my "solution" was to keep and run those two and send this one to my parts bone yard. Parts for these 42-year old EVL saws are scarce as hens teeth.
If yours is an EVL model rather than a VL 500, chances are good the electronic coil/module is going/gone bad. Those are tough to find and pricey when they are found. I have a 500vl with points ignition and it runs as new.20230912_071659.jpg

It is definitely an EVL and I believe your analysis is correct -- electrical problem with the coil. That is about the only part for my Echo 500 EVL I have not tried replacing with parts from a Deere, a saw that matches it. I'll give that a try next. It's amazing how many electrical problems crop up. Occasionally it will spark and then it can give up unexpectedly and won't even pop. Good idea.

It is definitely an EVL and I believe your analysis is correct -- electrical problem with the coil. That is about the only part for my Echo 500 EVL I have not tried replacing with parts from a Deere, a saw that matches it. I'll give that a try next. It's amazing how many electrical problems crop up. Occasionally it will spark and then it can give up unexpectedly and won't even pop. Good idea.
I've never owned a 500evl before, but looking at IPL's of them, it kinda looks like the cam for points is still on the crankshaft. Whenever you get around to it, check and see if yours has the cam and the mounting points for contact points, maybe it could be switched back to point ignition.

Here's an image of a 440evl crankcase assy, the barb on the right is for the oiler hose, and the left is the impulse hose barb.View attachment 1134726
Oops, I never saw the barb on the left, so it looks like the last guy that worked on this saw connected the impulse hose to the oiler...Probably the bar oiler didn't work too well either. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back