Ok I see the light...SRT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraMtns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was taught double rope and Blake's hitch. It works well however I tired a simple SRT setup with Prusik knots and now I see the light...wow.

Now I am looking for simple SRT setup. I run a 1/2" rope.

Here is the ones I am looking at. What other gear would I need to run these?

Rope Wrench Kit from Wesspur $309

Unicender $309

Is there any other ones you guys recommend?

Thanks

Check out the hitch hiker, I believe wesspur still carries it. It's the cheapest way to convert if you don't already have some of the other gear that a rope wrench set up requires. It's also a really good, well thought out device, it's compact, bomb proof, and you can ddrt with no change over. It can take a bit of experimenting to get it dialed in perfectly to your rope, weight, and style but the nice thing is you don't need eye to eye hitch cords, you can just buy them in 3-3.5' lengths. You will also need a tending point, a piece of small cordage with scaffold knots works great, I have also seen people bend up some heavy wire.

The rope wrench is a great tool as well. In my experience there may be a bit more adjustability than the hitchhiker2 because you can tie whatever hitch you prefer under it.

The unicender is probably the only srt device on the market I haventh climbed on. I will say it's compact and easy to put on and off the rope and seamless to change over to ddrt. Wrapping the rope to descend and the friction points wearing kinda turn me off though.

As far as ascent goes I strongly recommend that you go to a rope walking system. Any foot ascender will do, although I really like the CT. For a knee ascender I don't think you can beat the saka mini from climbing innovations. Super compact and adjustable and by far the least inexpensive option on the market. I don't think you could build your own for much less $.
Tending, the lanyard over the shoulder works but most people prefer a kneck or chest tether. For a cheap chest tether you can take a long loop runner and give it a twist so it looks like an 8, put your arms through so the cross is on your back and clip the two ends at your chest with a carabiner. There are also a few low buck options out there.
I prefer a neck tether and just use a buff with a small carabiner although the options are endless.

Check out the hitch hiker, I believe wesspur still carries it. It's the cheapest way to convert if you don't already have some of the other gear that a rope wrench set up requires. It's also a really good, well thought out device, it's compact, bomb proof, and you can ddrt with no change over. It can take a bit of experimenting to get it dialed in perfectly to your rope, weight, and style but the nice thing is you don't need eye to eye hitch cords, you can just buy them in 3-3.5' lengths. You will also need a tending point, a piece of small cordage with scaffold knots works great, I have also seen people bend up some heavy wire.

The rope wrench is a great tool as well. In my experience there may be a bit more adjustability than the hitchhiker2 because you can tie whatever hitch you prefer under it.

The unicender is probably the only srt device on the market I haventh climbed on. I will say it's compact and easy to put on and off the rope and seamless to change over to ddrt. Wrapping the rope to descend and the friction points wearing kinda turn me off though.

As far as ascent goes I strongly recommend that you go to a rope walking system. Any foot ascender will do, although I really like the CT. For a knee ascender I don't think you can beat the saka mini from climbing innovations. Super compact and adjustable and by far the least inexpensive option on the market. I don't think you could build your own for much less $.
Tending, the lanyard over the shoulder works but most people prefer a kneck or chest tether. For a cheap chest tether you can take a long loop runner and give it a twist so it looks like an 8, put your arms through so the cross is on your back and clip the two ends at your chest with a carabiner. There are also a few low buck options out there.
I prefer a neck tether and just use a buff with a small carabiner although the options are endless.

Thank for the help.

Can you descend on the Hitch hiker rig?

The rope wrench looks like a nice setup. I was trying to figure out a kit that I can descend on instead of switching out to my figure 8 to come out of the tree.

It looks like the WesSpur Rope Wrench kit comes with a foot ascender and chest rig for tending. I too agree that I don't think you could build your own for much less $.

You can make your own chest harness by tying 2 loop runners together. I made mine with one loop runner and an arborwear belt to keep it adjustable.

It looks like there is a Hitch Hiker 2. I would still need to buy a foot ascender and chest rig for tending. Not sure if it would end up being close to the same cost of the Rope Wrench kit at $309.

http://www.wesspur.com/items/asc184.html
You can descend single line or doubled with the hitchhiker2. With the wrench setup you will want to remove the wrench to come down on a doubled rope.

If you price out everything in their kit with the hitchhiker2 it's about $25 cheaper, so not much different there. They're both fine setups, cant go wrong with either.
If you already have any of the gear in the wrench kit for climbing ddrt like hitch cord, micro pulley, etc then really all you need is the wrench and tether which might come out as the cheapest entry fee.

Regardless I would allot some money for a knee ascender as well. You'll thank me later.

DDRT applies your weight to your tie in point.

Base tied SRT doubles it.

Just like mechanical advantage with a pulley.

As long as you know that.......

Jomoco

DDRT applies your weight to your tie in point.

Base tied SRT doubles it.

Just like mechanical advantage with a pulley.

As long as you know that.......

Jomoco
Sort of... That's a pretty broad generalisation which is fine as a warning for folks who don't understand all the physics behind it.
If you are isolated around a lateral, yes you will be applying 2x the force minus the friction coefficient, but if you're isolated, why not canopy tie?
There are ways to make a base anchor load the primary tie in point much more in compression than as a canopy tie, etc. Alot of variables and alot to think about, but can open alot more doors when figured correctly. As with anything climbing related, low and slow and cautious...

Sure, just make dang sure your primary redirect point's beefy enough to take twice the load.

Jomoco

@SierraMtns I just recently started SRT and had a HH2. I think you might be confusing the price of the SRT gear and the rope walking gear. Both the Rope wrench and hitchhiker can be used for your SRT, without the use of the rope walking gear which is the ascenders. That being said unless you are using spurs exclusively I would get a rope walking setup (or make your own) for either of them.

I settled on the HH2 because it can be used SRT and DDRT. What I do is SRT and rope walk into the canopy to my desired DDRT tie in point and then switch to DDRT. Only on piece of equipment to use and I don’t have to worry about dropping the Rope Wrench.

That being said, the Rope Wrench is far and away more widely used. It is the classic piece of SRT hardware.

One last thing, when you are looking at rope walking gear, save yourself a headache and get a foot ascender that locks on the rope (not just a caribeaner lock, a real lock). Unless your technique is spot on non locking foot ascenders have a tendency to kick out. Could be desirable if your really good at it, but when your just learning I found it to be very frustrating.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back