OK, what is it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I always look at the ID threads. Never thought it would be me posting one.

A log landing I am working has quite a bit of something I can't ID. It's not softwood they way it cuts and chips are tan colored. It's lighter than oak. Maple maybe??

111jrm0.jpg

2ezjtrt.jpg

Wood worker guys, what do you think of this?

2gt98p3.jpg

2lnbqti.jpg

2nler12.jpg

Making some progress

10wtq3m.jpg

Definitely looks maple-y. The third and fourth pic look like box elder

The 3rd and 4th pic are to tweek the wood workers. It is black walnut.:innocent:

The what ever it is and walnut are separated from the oak I normally cut. It will be for campfire wood. The walnut was well received by the campfire people. Burns with a blue flame and smells good.

We need to see a split. In the first pic the bark of the freshly cut round kinds looks like oak but the older cut piece looks like aspen. In the second pic of the fresh cut the end grain looks like aspen including the bark, the way it's cracking, and the way some of the sapwood has a blue hue to it.

Might be Oak lets see a split piece?

The first stuff almost looks like smooth bark hickory.

Guys it seems like I have created confusion. The only pictures I don't know what it is #1 & #2. The rest of the pics are black walnut and the big pile is oak. I cut 20-25 cord of red and white oak and some hickory a year. This is not either.

I am leaning towards maple. At any rate it will be separated with the walnut and be made into campfire wood.

Guys it seems like I have created confusion. The only pictures I don't know what it is #1 & #2. The rest of the pics are black walnut and the big pile is oak. I cut 20-25 cord of red and white oak and some hickory a year. This is not either.

I am leaning towards maple. At any rate it will be separated with the walnut and be made into campfire wood.
Split a piece of that stuff so we can see the grain.

I know it confused me lol! The striations in the grain of a split would prove me wrong, but I'm sticking with maple. For the first two pics. Silver or sugar. A leaf would tell for sure.

Latest posts

Back