Old chain id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Reaction score
I was at my dealer and he has some old chain hanging that I never noticed before today. He had no info on it other than it was there when his Dad bought the shop many years ago.

This one has straight teeth with no rakers.IMG-20141208-00680.jpg IMG-20141208-00681.jpg

This one has what appears a semi-chisel along with a double sided cutter. IMG-20141208-00682.jpg IMG-20141208-00683.jpg

I have heard of, never seen what they call a scratcher chain. Maybe what that is lol.

There were many variations of chain, during the progression from the crosscut saw to the modern chainsaw.

The flat stuff is 'scratcher' chain. It was used before Joe Cox invented modern 'hooded' chain in 1946. Essentially, there were flights/groups of scoring cutters that scratched through the wood fibers. Saws ran slower, with lots of torque. Took a lot more skill to sharpen because the teeth needed to be jointed (same height), set (sideways projection), and filed at different angles.

The 'Y' chain is also a variation. It has multiple scoring cutters (like a manual crosscut saw) and fewer rakers (note that many people call the depth gauges on chains 'rakers', which causes confusion).

On modern chain, the side plates act as scoring cutters, and the top plates act as rakers, chipping out the wood fibers, forming the kerf. One of the big advantages claimed in the original patent is that they are much easier to sharpen.

There are some illustrations of older chains on Mike Acres 'Chain Saw Collectors Corner' website if you want to see more of these.

Philbert

What was the theory/physics behind the Kolve?

Not sure of the brands that you have posted. Look for any markings on the sides, and measure the pitch and gauge (*they may not be the standard ones we use today!) to help ID.

Here is a similar chain from Mike Acres' site. Does not look exactly the same.

Philbert

Screen shot 2014-12-08 at 8.52.56 PM.png

What was the theory/physics behind the Kolve?

I honestly don't remember that much about it. That was a long time ago but I remember some rep bringing some in the shop and showing it off. I think the owner only bought a small roll of it. I remember testing it but didn't think that much of it. I don't even remember who made it.

Thank you fellas. My dealer was interested in info also. I will pass this along.

Back