One of my last good saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
44s used to gravitate to me 12cyears ago, im looking to cut some firewood again and need a bigger than 026 saw.
I used to go looking for saws on the cheap id bring them home 5 or 10 at a time looking like this.
20180216_180638.jpg
20180216_180638.jpg

10 years ago i put this saw on back burner because i assumed it was a 10mm 044. Course im broke and cheap and need a running 70cc saw so ifigured what hell. Then i notice a flippy oil tank cap damn loggers all along i assumed this a accent 44 but **** its atleast 12mm 44 possibly a 46. I havent a clue.

Ive never had a white 70cc saw with matching caps.

Anyways ill most likly tear it down do bearing seals new lines, i have ported 44 cylinder kicking around here somewhere. Pretty sure theres a clutch cover and recoil under my welding bench theres a carb and coil around somewhere to.

Okay i gotta get something done

Attachments

• 20180216_180621.jpg
    20180216_180621.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 75
Ill take a few pictures but not much of a serious.
If i do some grinding ill take a few more pictures. If i do something not as normal with the muffler ill get some there to
Ive been quietly watching carbide burrs on ebay

Wow, that has got some serious thick crud built up.
If it was summer, I'd say look out for spiders crawling out. lol
I had an old rebuilder cutoff saw out of a barn last year that had at least a dozen crawl out as I was dismantling it.
It was like playing "whack-a-mole".

Recently started rebuilding a basket case 026 that was shipped to me. This gives you an idea of its condition:
1518914787849_IMG_20180123_165900_682.jpg
When I removed the carb, two of these guys crawled out of the intake manifold:
1518914837164_IMG_20180123_202207_717.jpg
I have no idea how long they were in there or how they got in; the piston (frozen) was completely blocking the intake port, and the throttle butterfly was closed.
1518915507909_IMG_20180123_170011_577.jpg

Recently started rebuilding a basket case 026 that was shipped to me. This gives you an idea of its condition:
View attachment 633811
When I removed the carb, two of these guys crawled out of the intake manifold:
View attachment 633812
I have no idea how long they were in there or how they got in; the piston (frozen) was completely blocking the intake port, and the throttle butterfly was closed.
View attachment 633814

Where was it shipped from? Those are stink bugs. Were infested with em here in Oregon. If you smash em they reek like cilantro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where was it shipped from? Those are stink bugs. Were infested with em here in Oregon. If you smash em they reek like cilantro.

East Tennessee. We have them in west Tennessee and Arkansas too. I think they're everywhere. I avoid stepping on them because of the stink. Never associated the smell with cilantro, though. I like cilantro and make a really good habanero salsa.

East Tennessee. We have them in west Tennessee and Arkansas too. I think they're everywhere. I avoid stepping on them because of the stink. Never associated the smell with cilantro, though. I like cilantro and make a really good habanero salsa.
Well, if I ever need cilantro, I'm still not sticking a stink bug in my blender...lol

Thinking about getting a cheap tank and plastic off ebay.
Still havent cleaned it up enough to know if its 44 or 46 am to far gone from saw stuff i cant tell by just looking.
Kinda hoping its 46 but either way i have 32" thatl go in it when its done.

Hoping to put a wood stove in the house this summer and be done with pellets

The early 044 rapidly became my all time favorite saw back in the 90`s. Dang saw was just dead nuts reliable, I never got any breaks/days off waiting for it to be fixed or needing parts. Soon another was purchased, then a third as the hours piled up on my first saw. The 4th was a early MS440, it has been the only one that needed repair, the plastic spacer went on the flywheel side bearing at 40+ hrs run time . Stihl wouldn`t warranty it so I picked up the parts and fixed it one night after work. That same saw developed a carb problem, same deal, Stihl said no warranty on carbs. I bought a carb and changed it out myself. Other than that I have now owned 7 of these saws and wouldn`t hesitate to buy another if the price was right and it has been more than once....LOL

Mostly full. Put i found witb bith my 66 and 44 skip cloggex in the cut less when bucking treez passed passed bar knose

Back