Pic attached, need ID of a weird bolted-tube on the front of my saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
So I was looking at my saw and realized that if I forewent the silly bucking-spikes, and their bumper-attachment, that I'd gain about 1.5" usable bar-length (big deal for a 10" bar!)

It was just (2) lil phillips bolts holding it on there, can't believe anyone would think that spikes are more useful than 1.5" in this circumstance (spikes on a 25cc machine? for aesthetics only I imagine!), however there's this rigid tube with a bolt at the top protruding from the front of the case, can anyone ID this for me?
It's dead-center of the front of the case:
20191004_185113.jpgHere's me holding that bumper in-place in-front of the area that's zoomed-in above^

20191004_185151.jpg

Am very very happy to have a 15% bar-length increase but worried that I'm going to bash that thing and ruin my saw, my instinct is to put a gob of epoxy on it where it stands so it's frozen to the front but if it's a breather-tube or other pressure-relief type of tube I'm afraid of losing that aeration ability, though to be honest I can't find any spots that look like they have a pin-hole it just looks like a tube with a nut in the end, which of course would be pointless in and of itself!!

Thanks a ton for an ID on this it'd be greatly appreciated, was just doing a medium-level cleaning of the powerhead after a heavy session on the bar&chain and noticed it while cleaning the case, have been cutting with it exposed like that for weeks lol should really figure out what it is so I can appropriately affix/protect it!!

[FWIW this saw is one of those 25.4cc saws that're $100-150 on ebay/amazon, basically clones of the cs2511t this one is a 'scheppach', got it 6mo ago for $140 shipped and have been loving it, gets medium-duty workload and would definitely be better with a 12" instead of the 10", it was wimpy when I put a 16" on it though]

Just in case the pics were insufficient I snapped some more:
Front-center of the case:
20191004_190200.jpg
Two close-ups of the assembly/tube itself (note: the hole to the left of it is simply one of the two mounting-holes for the bumper-plate that was there holding the bucking-spikes/dogs)
20191004_190212.jpg 20191004_190217.jpg

What model saw is it?

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]
It's a "Scheppach CSP25400", love it paid 140 shipped a lil over 6mo ago and it's a little beast, supposedly a 1.2HP machine, couldn't power a 16" bar well but I'd upgrade to a 12" if I could (thing would shred with one of those thinner Stihl bars, can't understand why those aren't the standard/default, can't justify buying a new bar&chain when it came with a solid 10" oregon 91 bar), it's weird I thought Scheppach was a made-up name because this same saw is available from a ton of sellers in varying colors, stickers, bar/chain pairings etc, but Scheppach seems to be a legitimate/real company... Anyway with the chain kept sharp, the oil-pump kept at max, and the rakers filed off, it is a hungry lil saw!! Oh and I caught fabric in it once and, while it seized it, it didn't kill it, so there's that (that's always a good sign in my book, when something takes an overload-fail and doesn't die!)

Homelite rocks am glad to hear you've found something worth chasing, I love my Homelite whip it is a monster I run like 10" lines on it without the guard (lol like running that ^ chain w/o rakers and plunging to the case!) and it always powers-through, it responds crazy well to carb tuning (probably better than anything I own actually, it's borderline 'finicky' although the 'bad' isn't that bad it's an optimization thing!) Poulan is where my mind wanders lol, I can't say I'm collecting yet but there's 3 here hehe, one is my 42cc / 18" big saw (big for me, obviously not in-context here!), another is a beater 'wood shark' which will probably be parts-saw for the last one, got this thing months ago now and haven't gotten to it yet but: 1977 poulan micro super deluxe XXV/25d, a 33ccm top-handled, no-chainbrake oldschool unit, so damn eager to get the thing going unfortunately what seemed like a fuel lines/filter issue became more when I found the sprocket was missing a tooth, I'd bought it w/o real inspection because I'd made a casual $20 offer at a pawn and they said Yes so I just grabbed it LOL, was weird because I'd wanted the saw for a while, had seen it weeks prior and didn't jump on it / went back to find someone beat me to it, then I find another just a couple weeks later! Saws rule :D (I love saws so much, it's funny because I'd wanted to get back into guns like plinking at the range, been wanting to for a while and hadn't gotten to it, then in the past year as I got serious about trying to make all my work tree-work I got obsessed with saws and have found they completely satisfy "that itch" for shooting guns, I am equally happy to go to the range as I am to hog through wood.....I wish I found this profession earlier in life!!)

Looks to be a breather of sorts, kinda like the old Stihl saws had for the fuel tank.

Where would you guess the breather itself to be though? I put another post that has close-ups of the assembly itself, I was going to just isopropyl-clean & scuff-sand the area and then put a quarter-sized dab of epoxy down on the top so it's pinned to the case, but obviously can't risk putting the epoxy over the breather-hole itself but I can't find it.....it's gotta be a breather just don't understand its function/mechanism like why the hell is it so long? That thing isn't pinned to the case it comes out in-line with the oil reservoir:
20191004_191832.jpg
[double-checked to be sure LOL and yup the oil is the lower of the two reservoirs, though I'm not that matters much and bet it is connected to the fuel tank not the oil tank]

I like saws too, mostly Homelites but McCulloch and Poulan aren't too bad either! Oh and a Comet w/ a Tecumseh AH58 engine.
ddd88c7b6f24d5832468f1aa2184e310.jpg
b5703efaa371749d7938b5ef39c01761.jpg
5cae446e84759eea245f2c1884b68687.jpg

Where would you guess the breather itself to be though? I put another post that has close-ups of the assembly itself, I was going to just isopropyl-clean & scuff-sand the area and then put a quarter-sized dab of epoxy down on the top so it's pinned to the case, but obviously can't risk putting the epoxy over the breather-hole itself but I can't find it.....it's gotta be a breather just don't understand its function/mechanism like why the hell is it so long? That thing isn't pinned to the case it comes out in-line with the oil reservoir:

Since the tube isn't threaded, the screw threads create a labyrinth type effect, letting air through relatively easily compared to fluid. Notice the screw isn't in all the way down to the head, that would potentially seal it off. A fairly primitive breather system used on many older saws, though most use flush grub screws. Most newer saws have one way valves, at least on the fuel tank, for epa considerations.

It's tall to be above the fill level so the gas/oil won't run out over time while the saw is sitting and has less tendency to dribble while in use.

Since the tube isn't threaded, the screw threads create a labyrinth type effect, letting air through relatively easily compared to fluid. Notice the screw isn't in all the way down to the head, that would potentially seal it off. A fairly primitive breather system used on many older saws, though most use flush grub screws. Most newer saws have one way valves, at least on the fuel tank, for epa considerations.

It's tall to be above the fill level so the gas/oil won't run out over time while the saw is sitting and has less tendency to dribble while in use.
Pretty sure u nailed it. I didn’t even think of this looking at the pic till you mentioned it. I’ve see this technique used before, it’s clever and it works.

I like saws too, mostly Homelites but McCulloch and Poulan aren't too bad either! Oh and a Comet w/ a Tecumseh AH58 engine.
Is the Comet that old one? *BOSS* collection right there, gah I had a feeling I'd be going down a similar path once I got into them and now that I've seen yet another pile like that I have to imagine that's just where I'll be (once I've chosen to acquire a saw I don't want to get rid of it lol, I don't get saws I dislike of course, and have 4 here now with a "gotta get a new one ASAP" for my larger-powered top-handle, am switching to my rear-handle way too early so a beefier top-handle is major priority (I really need to start getting more tree work to pay for all this $#@$ lol, swapping-over from 'general-services'/handyman/property management to trying to shun that work and just keep reminding my customers of my new abilities, has me in an odd place where I'm making about the same although I'm working less, once I actually get tree-work to something like 75% of my work-time I'll be able to reallly build the inventory LOL as I want a bigger/beefier rear-handle as well, 42cc as my biggest ain't cutting it!!)

AWESOME thank you :D

Would you guess that it could be for the oil since it does protrude from that level or is it way more likely to be gas? Can't say I smell more gas there than the saw's 'aura' of gasoline smell but still would expect gas-breathers before oil...had always thought this was achieved by putting a tiny hole in the gas-cap (although on a top-handle that may not work so well, my husq125b blower dumps gas through the gas-cap's breather-hole if it tips in my truck bed!) Thanks a ton I'm actually going to cut a small piece of black window screening to create a filter of sorts for the top so I can epoxy it in-place when I'm epoxy'ing the tube itself to the powerhead-body, the fact that the bolt wasn't fully seated should have made that obvious I feel dumb now lol at least I know what's what and can proceed to protect it (lest my $140 saw get damaged hehe thing has already paid for itself many many times over in fact I'm hoping to get another of the same exact unit but it's #3 on my saws-purchases list so that won't be til next year...unless work picks up!!)

Pretty sure u nailed it. I didn’t even think of this looking at the pic till you mentioned it. I’ve see this technique used before, it’s clever and it works.
Yeah it is clever and it's so obvious in hindsight isn't it?? Wonder how long it'd have taken me to figure that out if I just sat there w/ the schematics of the powerhead... That's perfect, can make a DIY screen-filter for it and epoxy the whole works onto the body of the saw in fact now that I think about it I'll just take a piece of rigid metal-mesh sheeting and cut a vertical rectangle to place over the entire thing, for redundancy, with a window-screen filter epoxied to the top-most portion of the ~1"X4" metal-mesh strip (can you tell I mcguyver stuff much? lol)

Yeah it is clever and it's so obvious in hindsight isn't it?? Wonder how long it'd have taken me to figure that out if I just sat there w/ the schematics of the powerhead... That's perfect, can make a DIY screen-filter for it and epoxy the whole works onto the body of the saw in fact now that I think about it I'll just take a piece of rigid metal-mesh sheeting and cut a vertical rectangle to place over the entire thing, for redundancy, with a window-screen filter epoxied to the top-most portion of the ~1"X4" metal-mesh strip (can you tell I mcguyver stuff much? lol)
I would have never figured it out myself. I only knew what it was when I watched a poulan fuel tank vent video I believe, where the same technique was used .

I think you hit it, same principle as the grub screws in the 025 tank vent, probably some others too.

Back