Ms460 my first big saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewis16

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, recently just fed my cad addiction by purchasing a ms460 from fleabay. In all honesty I got stung but unfortunately excrement happens. Anyhow I decided to make the best of the situation and decided it was time to learn about saws and get some parts in.

Started off like this. Wrong wrap handle, cracked handle, carb with broken screw, broken plastics and a worn clutch.
a9ff9ddbbc51dd6d6a7161f1defcb85f.jpg

b64438553ed6250642624c2ffd5e87cf.jpg

After a few days I popped into my local stihl dealer who ordered me some.new bits. New handle, service items, plastic top cover and decal, clutch cover and I got a carb shipped to the states for me. I also ordered a new set of flippy caps and have a new clutch and oil pump on the way. Looking like this now. New dual port muffler too. Sounds really sweet.
d30c0a3d2bd176c2d6a0ffb6e8b492f8.jpg

0727460798aec657d15390fe933314f6.jpg

b6f85b0d1ee3835a0187eab59ceaacf8.jpg

7595b3ec3ad6f54a08bdfaa628bfd3de.jpg

I really like the saw, and it's been a little expensive for a second hand saw but I've learnt aesson. Thankfully the piston and cylinder were in really good shape and everything checked out mechanically. Just aesthetically needed touching up. Came with a 24/25" bar and chain in good nick so not all tears. Can't way to get it into wood.

Looks like a nice 460 id be happy with it. yeah you had to put a bit into it but i think youll have a nice saw in the end You ll love the kick it has

Good for you, Lewis.
Boys like their toys, eh?
Forget about dropping a couple extra bucks on it, take it out and make some sawdust with it.
I have 2 MS460s' and an 026 Pro, I love all of them.

Nice saw...................

I love the 026. Get him down about 15-20% and grab it.

b260cb6e6a96663cf33ddcb68837ffdc.jpg
349b3182c729cd8e99bff9e6f931bb43.jpg

Got it all together tonight, yesterday I put on the new plastics, tonight I installed a brand new carb, new clutch and washer, new oil pump and worm, and a sprocket and clutch drum. Result is a nice running saw. Not sure on how well it's oiling. It's turned up to the max so does that mean it will oil quicker than it uses fuel?

Anyway here's a test picture, some of that is wd40 and 3in1 oil that I coat the bar and chain with as they were new I didn't want a dry friction surface before the oil got to it. I can feel a little bit of heat in the bar but I can't tell if it's oiling the chain and bar, when I remove the side cover and run it oil floods out. Will I know for sure when I sink it in some wood?

a9fe9e47ff4dce3176f8006d986a6ecc.jpg

I got a 460 last summer from a member here, lots of new parts on it. Ran it twice for a bigger Ash I had to take down in the yard, put a 25" PowerMatch bar on it. I love that saw, hopefully it will put a smile on your face also. Now I need to find some more big wood to cut ;)

I've got a 20" oregon which you can see it's wearing at the moment. It came with a stihl 25" stihl bar and chain which I will have a go at dressing and sharpening. Never sharpened a 3/8ths RS chain. It's a nice saw I'm just worried about the oiling. I blew all the oil lines out and made sure the oil passages are clear.

I also have a 20" Stihl bar from a recently departed MS360 but I haven't cut with it yet. I bought myself an Echo CS-590 with 18" bar and I've been using that lately to break it in. Nice saw for the money. I bought a Pferd 2 in 1 3/8 chain sharpener at the same time. I used it to touch up the 590 chain once so far. I like that also, so far

On your bars, look at the oil holes make sure they are clear.
I drill them out one or two drill sizes just to give them as much oil as possible. Just don't go larger than the oil channel width in the saw case.

I am using a set of number drill bits when i say 1 or 2 sizes. It is only enlarging the hole 8 to 10 thousanths.

Back