Opinions, which big Husky to get! (390xp or 395xp)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmking

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a big Husky, 80+cc. Been eye balling the 390 and 395xp's. Want it for ripping big rounds down to lifting size. I have a 357xp but ripping these big rounds is time consuming and seems very hard on the saw. I want your opinions on these two saws. Also what's your thoughts on the Dolmar 7900, does it have the balls to noodle lots of big wood... Thanks!

I'd say get the 390. It has virtually the same power, but weighs quite a bit less.

I have a 395 and 7900 never run a 390 but my 7900 for the weight is awesome for power I have used it to rip big pieces of hickory and sycamore. My 395 isnt broken in yet but it runs really strong now it was a little rich from the factory so it ran even with my 7900 to start but now after a few tanks of gas and some carb tuning it kills the 7900. But the 395 is about 5 lbs heavier with the same size bar and chain. As far as money goes the 7900 is about 300 dollars cheaper. Hope this helps.

Since I want a saw or two for about every 10cc's I have been considering the same thing. They are both really nice saws. I personally have run a 385 just a little which is the little brother to the 390. If it does not bother you too much you may want to look around in the used market. I have seen quite a few 395's go in the $500-600 range that look to be in great shape. You could save some money and pick up a bunch of chains :).

Good luck,

Adam

I would like to purchase a big Husky, 80+cc. Been eye balling the 390 and 395xp's. Want it for ripping big rounds down to lifting size. I have a 357xp but ripping these big rounds is time consuming and seems very hard on the saw. I want your opinions on these two saws. Also what's your thoughts on the Dolmar 7900, does it have the balls to noodle lots of big wood... Thanks!

Never ran a 390 but I have a 395 XPG with a 36inch bar on it. It is a very good saw. It has its uses however. It would be a very long day holding on to that thing if you were just cutting tops or something along those lines.

I'd get the 395.

The 395 is a downsized 3120 complete with external clutch. The external clutch keeps the heat outside of the engine where it belongs.
History has told us that the 385 has had pto side bearing issues. Since the 390 is the same saw it may be something to keep in mind especially with ubber long bars. I have yet to hear of bearing issues on the 395.

Looks like I'm leaning more towards the 390, more for the weight issue than anything else. Does a 24" bar work well with this size saw or should i go bigger yet for ripping big rounds?

gets a 390xp with a 28" and your sets! 390xp seems a waste at 24" but maybe thats just me.

:)

Im a little guy, and I don't mind running my 394xp one bit when it comes to blocking up rounds and taking down a big stump.

I don't think a 395xp is going to weigh all that much more.

I would very much like to run a 390xp and see if I could prefer one as a firewood saw, but when I was in the market for a big saw, I went as big I could (Sans 3120) because... there is isn't a replacement for displacement.

The used market seems a good place to go if you are unsure. I scored a whopping deal with a worked over (ported) 394xp for under $500. It looks like it got ran over by a skidder, but it runs like a raped ape. Its worth the weight and fuel consumption, because it will flat pull some wood.

I use a 24" bar on mine, I'd run shorter and a bigger sprocket, my firewood rounds are only 16" wide. It runs, and handles well at 24", its a fine combination. I'd type more, and revise this post... but Im late for work:chainsaw:

I'm not going to tell you what to buy but for ripping hardwood I use my 395xp. You can really work a saw ripping and I think bigger is better in this case.

The rounds I rip for my stove are 18" to 20" wide. I don't have a 390xp but my 385xp would be very close in weight and power to the 390xp. The 385xp rips hardwood fine but the 395xp is faster and labors less, but is noticeably heavier. However, when you really need power like ripping does I find the bigger saw works me less. Either one will cut you a pile of noodles.

Let us know what you buy and how you like it.

Never ran a 390. I have a 7900 with a 28" bar and a 395xp with a 28" bar. The 395xp is only 3 pounds more and for the power the weight is worth it IMO. The 395xp with flat smoke the 7900, but we're talking different class saws.
I think the 7900 will cut anything the 395xp will with the same bar, but not nearly as fast (not even close in speed) and if in the future you want a bigger bar than why not get a saw that will run now.

The 395 is a downsized 3120 complete with external clutch. The external clutch keeps the heat outside of the engine where it belongs.
History has told us that the 385 has had pto side bearing issues. Since the 390 is the same saw it may be something to keep in mind especially with ubber long bars. I have yet to hear of bearing issues on the 395.

If the clutch is getting hot enough for it to matter then something is wrong...

If the clutch is getting hot enough for it to matter then something is wrong...
Sooner or later it’s gonna matter, hot days, long bars, clutch slips heat builds up. I didn’t know you had a 395…good on ya!

Sooner or later it’s gonna matter, hot days, long bars, clutch slips heat builds up. I didn’t know you had a 395…good on ya!

I don't need a 395 to know that if the clutch is slipping that either something is wrong with the clutch, or the saw is being used incorrectly. I have run my 044 plenty with a 28" bar burried in red or white Oak on 90 plus degree days. I don't let the clutch slip, and there is no sign of heat on my shoes or drum. Putting a 36" bar on a saw with an outboard clutch is a pain in the rear. I know, I get to do it with my SP125. Hanging the long bar on my 660 is about ten times easier.

Back