Opinions, which big Husky to get! (390xp or 395xp)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 385 was re-engineered...period. The fact that the pto side (clutch side) bearing failures were caused by the internal clutch’s excessive heat remains.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Husqvarna improperly engineered the PTO side of the 385. This is the root cause of the failure. Had the root cause been the use of an inboard clutch, then the only countermeasure would have been to re-engineer the saw with an outboard clutch. If the heat from the 385 inboard clutch is the problem, but the heat from a 575 inboard clutch is not a problem then it is the undersizing of the clutch that is at fault, not its placement. Stihl has no such problems with bearing failures on the PTO side only due to excessive heat from the clutch. Thousands of saws in service prove this. I will say it once again, if the clutch is getting hot enough to cause a problem, then the fault is with the operator, not with the saw.

Looks like I'm leaning more towards the 390, more for the weight issue than anything else. Does a 24" bar work well with this size saw or should i go bigger yet for ripping big rounds?

They feel good with a 24" bar and even better with a 28":)

Back