Overheated bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mill_wannabe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Stihlbar.jpg

I picked up an 028AVEQS yesterday, and the bar has significant blueing all around. I presume it was run without oil at one time, but I did see some threads saying some Stihl bars are laser welded and blue under the paint. Would you say this one is toast?

I need to figure out the picture posting. Maybe this will work in the mean time?

Last edited:
The bluing is usually from the hardening process given to the bar edge and is typical on heat treated bars before painting. Your photo did not work. Here's a photo from an old bar that I have with the paint worn off.

Stihl%20028%20%2016%20bar.jpg

Had a bar that looked like that. Blued top and bottom, but not around the radius of the sprocket.
Some hinted that it was burned. But I always kept the bar oil topped off and had thought myself that it was just heat treating.

Do maintence on the bar, wash it, sand it clean, paint it white and stencil Stihl on it. Just like new again. Seeing the bluing I don’t like. Lol

Back