Pacific Northwest GTG 2019

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attended the Pacific Northwest GTG today for the first time. Most fun I've had in a long long time. Great venue, great people and great saws. Thanks to everyone for being so willing to share good information and for letting me run some saws I hadn't ever imagined I would get to run. Thanks especially to Bob for hosting this really cool event.
Hey "J" Thanks for the nice words! I have found that 143 top end and I'm sure we can work something out........Bob

Shucks. Did not see this post until now. I presume that it was down in Springfield again?

Have been off this forum for a few years now. Stihl sawing and stihl cutting firewood to burn here. It may not be legal to cut or burn anything much longer in anti-GW Orygone.

My 361s are stihl singing to me in the meantime though, "Me luv you LONG TIME!"

I pulled into my home place around 9:00 PM local time today...had a nice visit with my cousin in San Jose on Monday afternoon and almost got out of town before the traffic kicked in. All in all I drove around 5,000 miles without any incidences, incredible scenery and marvelous weather throughout, and of course the greatest people in world at the GTG.

Thanks again to Bob, T, Shannon, Stephanie, Jason, Kevin S., and all of the others that put in so much hard work to make this event possible and enjoyable. I also want to give a shout out to Jim W (Chainsaw Jim) for devoting the time and effort to get my kart saw running even though it was a short burst. I am pretty confident now that between the advice from Jim and Don (Sawfun) that I will be able to get it going reliably once I can devote a little time to it.

I was too busy having a good time to get a lot of photos but here are a few to give you some of the flavor.

This was the first time for Steve G to come and he brought two of the most beautifully prepared McCulloch kart saws you will ever see. They each have dual carburetor set up with two Tillotson HL's. Sheldon had to work on one just a bit to get it to run correctly (metering needles were stuck) and a number of us were given the chance to make a cut. Pictured below are Steve, Brian, Bob, and Sheldon (Torinocobra).

20190621_145604.jpg

20190621_145229.jpg

Steve, Kevin S, and Brian...it is hard to get a photo of Kevin as he is working most of the time either getting things ready or fixing stuff for T.

20190621_145617.jpg

I brought a few saws of my own to run, and had a few more given to me as additions to the museum or just for parts & fixing. Thanks again to Randy Mac, Don, and Bob for the additions. The Silver King on the bench was a gift from Randy Mac.

20190622_110452.jpg

Saws...

20190622_110515.jpg

...saws...

20190622_110521.jpg

...and more saws.

20190622_133523.jpg

Mark

Not sure who the young man in the back is, up front are Doug (Bob's neighbor), Wayne and his wife, and Jay Hansen. First time for Jay but I suspect he may come again.

20190622_123410.jpg

Don (Sawfun), Ian in the background in the blue shirt, Dave (Heffelump), Julia, and baby Heffelump...someone please remind me of her name.

20190622_124049.jpg

Jim working on a saw while Ian looks on longingly. Ian certainly likes to hear his saws running...

20190622_124106.jpg

I should have written down more names so I could remember...the plaid shirt is Sheldon's dad (John I believe) Kevin D in the background in the black T shirt (Kevin is the racer), what is T looking at up in the tree????

20190622_124121.jpg

Looks to be Kevin D's daughter if I have it straight.

20190622_124133.jpg

Stephanie with Lydia (Sheldon and Casey's daughter), Casey, Julia, Dave, and the Heffelump girl again...sorry about names...

20190622_124203.jpg

Nate (Madhatte) grinding a chain while Matt looks on. Seems Nate forgot to leave the Silvey grinders (square grinder, raker grinder, and one more that I have forgotten) in Farleyville.

20190622_125239.jpg

Ever mindful of opportunities to teach, Nate showing off the proper use of PPE, note the gloves and hearing protection.

20190622_133103.jpg

Jared, his cousin (Clark?), a couple of fellows who's names I did not record, Nate, and Matt's leg.

20190622_133236.jpg

Doug, Big Bad Bob, Brian, and Jeanie Mae. Strangely, no one was interested in cutting on the maple log, apparently it makes your saws appear to be slow.

20190622_125003.jpg

I did not capture them in photos but Joan (Mrs. Big Bad Bob) and Patty were here for the whole event as well. Just too much fun to try and capture it all.

Mark

Paso Robles Jimmy was also here for the full event, if you don't believe those Central California folk are tough, that's a bottle of Tabasco Sauce he's sipping on.

20190623_140834.jpg

Bob let me run the 3120 but I think it was just so I would replace the starter rope when I broke it trying to clear the flooded saw.

20190623_124043(0).jpg

BBB took a turn on the 3120 as well.

20190623_124105.jpg

Mark

I almost forgot about the piped Wildthing with Bob himself at the helm.

View attachment 743577

Mark
Great pictures Mark, glad to hear you're home safe. It was great to meet you, and thanks for all the information. Hope to get to see your museum some day.

Oh Heck, Please Forgive my lacking Manners:innocent:, my quick stop to say "Hi:hi:" ended up being 3 Enjoyable hours, and I forgot to Thank Bob for his Hospitality, even if I didn't get to meet him. Seriously, Mrs. O'Grady Really TRIED to Raise Me Better than that, but sometimes, there's only so much a Mother can do.

I really Enjoyed meeting Mark, Nate, Randy Mac, Big Bad Bob, and others, I wish that the schedule had allowed more time. I stayed longer than I should have, after leaving I took what was SUPPOSED to be a short 1.5 hour nap at the Santiam Rest Area, 4 hours later, my Wife called worried that I wasn't home yet. Friday was a Long Day for Husky Man, I started work at 6;30 am, finished work, three hours at the GTG, and my 4 hour nap, had me backing the trailer into the driveway at 6:00am Saturday morning. Santiam home involved a "Bit" of Coffee:drinkingcoffee::drinkingcoffee::drinkingcoffee::drinkingcoffee::drinkingcoffee::drinkingcoffee:.

I will try to make a note of it for next year, even the Wife is interested in going.

I Enjoyed meeting everyone, and am Sorry that I wasn't able to stay for the Activities, but would like to stay "For the Duration" next year.

Thank You Everyone for the warm Welcome, and Bob in particular, it sure looks like there is some serious effort into the planning and set up, Top Notch GTG:clap::clap::clap:

Doug :cheers:

Being from Washington State... many years... enjoyed seeing all the NW GTG pix!, etc. looks like u had a perfect day for 'the outing' ! comments like Lewiston, ID, the I5 and early summer PAC NW weather made me smile. :D also lived in Pullman, Ephrata and Moses Lake. :heart: the Spiral Hiway... many times down it when it was the only road out of Pullman that dropped down into Lewiston... the abundant waves of grain seeing the many wheat fields of the area blowing in the wind, of course, the I5!... heck, I remember when there was no I5 thru Seattle! then we had a big, messy ribbon of mud. think I drove it to school at the U of W... 2nd day it was open. may have been the first. enjoyed seeing all the modded saws and vintage ones, too. thanks for the pix! seems it was a :numberone:gig!! ~

:yes:

Being from Washington State... many years... enjoyed seeing all the NW GTG pix!, etc. looks like u had a perfect day for 'the outing' ! comments like Lewiston, ID, the I5 and early summer PAC NW weather made me smile. :D also lived in Pullman, Ephrata and Moses Lake. :heart: the Spiral Hiway... many times down it when it was the only road out of Pullman that dropped down into Lewiston... the abundant waves of grain seeing the many wheat fields of the area blowing in the wind, of course, the I5!... heck, I remember when there was no I5 thru Seattle! then we had a big, messy ribbon of mud. think I drove it to school at the U of W... 2nd day it was open. may have been the first. enjoyed seeing all the modded saws and vintage ones, too. thanks for the pix! seems it was a :numberone:gig!! ~

:yes:

Hey Backyard, when were you in Central WA.?

I'm a truck driver, from about 1995-2002 I delivered to restaurants in Yakima, Wenatchee, Leavenworth, Omak, Spokane, Colville, Ephrata, Moses Lake, Pullman, Moscow and Lewiston.

From 2002-2015, I was working for a foam Company delivering to Yakima, Spokane, Colville, CDA, Moscow, Pullman, Lewiston, Walla Walla, and the Tri Cities.

Those were the "Good Old Days", the company sold the foam plant in the summer of '16, I still work from the same plant, but it ain't the "same Place":(:(:(, Now I drive for an outside "Logistics Company" and only run to Kent, WA to Eugene,OR from the Portland plant, for my dedicated account, but I often get sent to help other accounts in Kennewick, WA. Lincoln City, OR., Medford, OR. and Reno, NV.

Maybe we crossed paths:confused:

hi HM -

we lived in Pullman back in the mid 50's... then went overseas. when we returned my Dad - USAF, got a billet at Larsen AFB. so first in Ephrata and then Moses Lake... then to Seattle. that's why I like cherries, salmon, daily camp fires.... and all things good about the Pac NW... I am first and foremost a Pacific NW boy... lol

have a nice day! all those towns u mention are quite familiar to me, as places if not having been there... often went to Wenatchee Apple Blossom Festival... many times down into Walla Walla... some of my friends from HS live in Kent area... just S of Renton.

:drinkingcoffee:

hi HM -

we lived in Pullman back in the mid 50's... then went overseas. when we returned my Dad - USAF, got a billet at Larsen AFB. so first in Ephrata and then Moses Lake... then to Seattle. that's why I like cherries, salmon, daily camp fires.... and all things good about the Pac NW... I am first and foremost a Pacific NW boy... lol

have a nice day! all those towns u mention are quite familiar to me, as places if not having been there... often went to Wenatchee Apple Blossom Festival... many times down into Walla Walla... some of my friends from HS live in Kent area... just S of Renton.

:drinkingcoffee:

Pretty Safe bet, we didn't cross paths in Pullman, I was BORN in '65;):)

Any how, Thanks for making me think of Good Times, We have Friends in Post Falls, but they get out here way more often than we get over there

Pretty Safe bet, we didn't cross paths in Pullman, I was BORN in '65;):)

Any how, Thanks for making me think of Good Times, We have Friends in Post Falls, but they get out here way more often than we get over there

lol, I was thinking the same. I graduated from HS in Seattle in 1965! enjoyed the times in Pullman...

Latest posts

Back