Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is, but on the other hand I've seen plenty of 65cc saws from other makers sold with 24" bars. And this saw does seem pretty strong. Out of curiosity Peter, are you speaking from experience, have you actually tried one of these 65cc Partner saws with a 24" bar? Any of you other guys done so?

Yes it is, but on the other hand I've seen plenty of 65cc saws from other makers sold with 24" bars. And this saw does seem pretty strong. Out of curiosity Peter, are you speaking from experience, have you actually tried one of these 65cc Partner saws with a 24" bar? Any of you other guys done so?
i have tried and but its a lot of bogging down unless you want to go to .325 chain that would be less work on the saw
i was cutting hard wood with it though , softer wood might be ok

Ok, thank you for relaying the experience. Yes, I have a couple 32"+ trees to remove but they're not hardwood. Maybe I will stick to 20" bar anyway.

Probably not much bigger if it is. My 420 (pretty sure...) has the same carb. Cylinder head is a little different in that it doesn't have that overhang on the one side though. That could just be an age difference thing. My saw has a bridged intake port but not exhaust.
A quick thought about the extended/overhanging fin over the ignition.
Can't see completely clearly in the photos but it could that this earlier cylinder has more fin area at the top to compensate for having fewer fins lower down due the comparatively larger ignition components than the later type.

That is a good point, I was looking at the photos of my cyl/head a/b with his and that definitely stuck out to me as well. Mine still has some overhang but much less.

When I get back to a proper keyboard I'll tell you about an enterprising Partner dealer's selling strategy back when 550s were the new model.
Ok. Comments by Huskybill and others about the comparative solidity of these old Partners compared to more lightweight alternatives prompted me to remember this.

It's 1983. I'm working for "Husqvarna Australia". We're changing our name to "Nordtec" to reflect the fact that we now have more than one house brand, having just taken over responsibility for distribution and service of the recently acquired Partner.
The Swedish-made model range is 500 & 5000Plus with .325 chain, 550, 650 & 7000Plus with 3/8 chain.

I'm travelling around the state of Victoria, introducing myself to the all the dealers. I walk into a big mower shop and Partner dealer in a regional city and there's a Husqvarna 50 Rancher sitting in the in-store display. It's not a surprise visit, I'm expected. I've spoken with the proprietor on the phone. So when he comes over to greet me, after a brief conversation I have to ask the obvious question.
"Why have you got a Husqvarna 50 on display there with the Partners?"
"I use it to sell off." He said.
"Where'd you get it from?"
"Well, I actually tried to buy one from you guys but the Husqvarna rep said, "No"."
"That's not surprising."
"So in the end, I sent one of my guys 'round to the Husky dealer to buy it."
(Pause)
"You said you sell off it. How so?"
"Well, when someone comes in and says they're thinking about a Husky 50, I say, "There's one over there, have a look at it, pick it up, pull it over". Then I say, "I can sell you this Partner 550 which puts out more power, more torque, and comes with a stronger chain, for less than what you'll pay for that Husqvarna 50." and if they look at all interested, I say, "Go on. Pull that one over and compare it with the Husky."."

I had to laugh. The 50 Rancher was a great saw, our biggest seller. It had an inertia chainbrake and of course, it was a lightweight, modern design compared to the revised and re-revised R16 -> P55 -> S55 -> 550 that he was selling.
But I had to take my hat off to him for coming up with way to honestly highlight the one aspect in which Partner was superior. Because it was an older design, with a big heavy flywheel and a large diameter starter pulley, when you pulled it over cold, it just reeked heavy-duty quality.

Thats a great story Huskvarna, they are definitely heavy, but do feel heavy duty. Makes the Stihl feel like a plastic play toy...

The more I play around with them, I do like them more and more everyday. Even my old man, who hasn't talked or thought about them in years, perked right up and has told me all kinds of stories of him using them in the woods ever since i started reviving a few. He originally thought I was nuts for getting my hands on "that heavy old pig of a saw" but has taken quite an interest now.

About the bar mount for it, D009 fit like a glove. Thanks for the help. Picked up an 18 inch bar and chain for it today.

Since the mystery saw had spark, and compression, I dumped a little fuel in her to see if it would go. I don't know how long it's been sitting empty. After a little fiddling with the choke and on switches (my first go with this style choke and on/off, so i may have had it backwards and flooded it... whoops) she fired for a few seconds and ran before dying again, the carb is probably all gummed up.

I was going to give it another go, but holy moly the compression. Thing is insane to pull over. My arms are jelly. It feels like the pull cord is a too short compared to the R16 I have. I think I will get some and re do it a bit longer so I have a bit more leverage with it.

I may need to get a new flywheel for it, so knowing more about it would be good. There are a few fins broke off on opposite sides. I don't know how well these things will run with that. I have heard conflicting reports on either, run great or terrible.

You probably need to go through the fuel system, new hose, filter, clean the carb.? These older saws with no compression release brings back memories, pull up the rope and drop the saw at the same time. Snap that rope to get her to turn over.

I have a P85 waiting to get gone through and an older 90 cc partner.

I may need to get a new flywheel for it, so knowing more about it would be good. There are a few fins broke off on opposite sides. I don't know how well these things will run with that. I have heard conflicting reports on either, run great or terrible.
Glad you liked the story. Seems like to old Partners are becoming a family talking point.

Re the flywheel. I'm not got good with visual differences on these but it may have a 6-digit number on it somewhere that conforms to the pattern of the following.
R16 325245
R420 325268
S55/65 P70 325616
P100 325614
P100Super 325621
550/650/7000Plus 325624

Also, how many fins are missing or have been "adjusted"? If the fins are opposite each other and evenly spaced so that you can match either side visually then I wouldn't be too worried about making the situation worse. I've ground and filed fins on some of the Huskys with irregular spacing and then you are in trial and error territory.

I don't think the missing fins will be a huge deal, but hopefully they are missing symmetrically. Might cause some issues otherwise (excess vibration, etc.) due to imbalance.

Also, how many fins are missing or have been "adjusted"? If the fins are opposite each other and evenly spaced so that you can match either side visually then I wouldn't be too worried about making the situation worse. I've ground and filed fins on some of the Huskys with irregular spacing and then you are in trial and error territory.

I don't think the missing fins will be a huge deal, but hopefully they are missing symmetrically. Might cause some issues otherwise (excess vibration, etc.) due to imbalance.

There are 4 missing, directly across from each other. Almost in 4 "corners" I'd say.

I will try to find out where the part numbers are and if I can get it. Thanks for the help.

@ Huskvarna, a few pages back you posted some high resolution images of some "marketing" stuff, a Partner 400 image, and some badges. You don't happen to have more of that type of thing do you? In amongst working on these saws I'm putting my shop together, and would love some Partner paraphernalia on the wall.

Really the toaster saws aren't that particularly heavy even by modern standards. Not quite fair to compare them to 50cc saws considering they're a 65-70cc platform that happened to be under bored to 50-55cc for certain market segments.
I mean, we're looking at around 14lbs for 70cc or alternately a 100cc platform at 18lbs...

I found brand new air filters for my partner 50, 500, ect saws on eBay in Italy. These weren’t cheap plus the shipping killed me but we can’t run them with no air filter. I just can’t see making a running saw a parts saw stealing the airfilter. That’s my problem everyone of these saws will run. My p85 runs but needs a tune up. My big single cylinder I think it’s a 90cc partner.

There’s partner posters and adds on eBay.

I ran a husky 2100 for many decades the weight was no problem after about 30 years I had arms like popeye. I guess the same size case fit the 50 cc on up to the 85 cc saws? Or am I wrong. Husky did the same thing with there 2100/2101/298/285/1100 saws.

There are 4 missing, directly across from each other. Almost in 4 "corners" I'd say.
Flywheel is likely still serviceable if the missing bits are of equal mass and opposite each other.

@ Huskvarna, a few pages back you posted some high resolution images of some "marketing" stuff, a Partner 400 image, and some badges. You don't happen to have more of that type of thing do you? In amongst working on these saws I'm putting my shop together, and would love some Partner paraphernalia on the wall.
Sadly no, apart from the attached 550/650 IPL with brochure I found online somewhere.

I'm coming round to thinking your mystery saw is indeed an R420, which makes me wonder about the vertical black bit in the exhaust port. Is it in fact cast in or just really weird carbon build up?

Attachments

• Partner 550 & 650 - IPL & brochure.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Really the toaster saws aren't that particularly heavy even by modern standards. Not quite fair to compare them to 50cc saws considering they're a 65-70cc platform that happened to be under bored to 50-55cc for certain market segments.
I mean, we're looking at around 14lbs for 70cc or alternately a 100cc platform at 18lbs...

Unless I've been seriously misinformed, it's the other way round. In the same way as the Husqvarna 77 eventually became the 480, the R16 was a new lightweight 55cc saw in 1967, which grew to become the 7000.

You're right though. It's not fair to compare a contemporary clean-sheet design with a reworked model from 15 years prior, unless....you're a potential customer and they're both in the stores at the same time:D

The other inherent advantage the old Partners have is that the drive sprocket/rim is closer to the centreline/con-rod than on just about any other saw because the extra crankshaft length needed to drive the oil pump is on the flywheel side, not the clutch side.

The difference in weight is at least 1kg based on these figures from 1987.
Partner 500: 5.1kg without bar & chain, 2.1kw
Partner 5000 Plus: 5.1kg without bar & chain, 2.4kw
Partner 550: 6.5kg without bar & chain, 2.5kw
Husqvarna 50 Rancher (original white-top version) 5.2kg without bar & chain, 2.2kw

Yeah, I was just looking at it in the context of similar timeline, comparing saws that were available at the same time.
Obviously the Husqvarna 50 wasn't around in 1967, nor was the maybe more validly comparable 162se. When the 50 was introduced, the 65cc toasters with av had been out for 12 or 14 years already.

Guess to clarify I should amend it to "... they're a 65-70cc platform that at the time happened to be under bored to 50-55cc for certain marketing driven segments".

Flywheel is likely still serviceable if the missing bits are of equal mass and opposite each other.

I'm coming round to thinking your mystery saw is indeed an R420, which makes me wonder about the vertical black bit in the exhaust port. Is it in fact cast in or just really weird carbon build up?

Lots of progress today...

I had a chance to pull it apart again this morning after the pull cord detonated.. cord was rotten. I gave her one swift pull this morning and POP. While taking it apart I noticed the spark plug wire was also loose.... turns out it was broken off and just jammed in the hole, giving me a little spark but not much. I just switched part of the coil out with one of the spares that came with the saw.

The broken fins are almost identical on the flywheel, almost to a point where it seems like it was done on purpose to even it up. So Ill run with it for now.

The "bridge" is in fact cast in. Piston has two rings. I also picked up a cheap set of calipers to try and get a bore measurement. I pulled a little trick with a popsicle stick and came up a hair short of 45mm. Accuracy not something I'd swear by.

In other news, I got the Husky 50 coil and put it on the 5000 that had the bad Ignitron Module. Bolted right up. I set the gap with the flywheel using a small piece of carboard about the thickness of a business card, I heard that somewhere. Now has spark and runs, seems a little fussy to start. How will I know if the gap is correct? will two far/too close alter how it runs/starts?

With being held up until I get some pull code rope, I had a look at the one of the "parts saws" that came with it. I believe it is an R17, matches up almost exactly to the R16 but has anti vibe handles. Lots of spark, good compression. Carb and the fuel system is a mess. cleaned it up a bit, had a look at the piston on intake side, looks pretty good.

It's a busy job bringing these back from the grave.

Sounds like a 50cc saw if your bore measured closer to 45mm. I tried that trick with mine too and got about 47ish mm. Then I pulled the cylinder and actually measured it at 48mm. So yours might be 46mm, which would make it about 50cc. Unless you didn't get the popsicle stick just so...haha.

On a related note, yes I agree that bringing them back is a good bit of work. After I tore mine apart I discovered that the spark plug hole thread was stripped out, so that was nice. So fixed that, did a little bit of port matching on the intake and a mild widening of the intake and exhaust ports cylinder side, raised the intake and exhaust just a touch to compensate for the .020" thick base gasket being removed. Got it all back together and running (sounds great!) only to find that the oiler isn't working.

So, those in the know, does the oiler need to come out the side? Assuming the flywheel will have to come off, doesn't look like it will come out through the bottom where the cover is.

My partners 50 cc/55 cc have tons of compression figuring out the cc of the unmarked saws can be misleading. I purchased 9 new mesh air filters, today we took out some of my partners I have two new airfilters left. I didn’t know I still had that many in boxes, I did notice I have a partner 50 that looks a tad bigger than my 400. There brother and sister siblings in plastic. I do have an older R16 that has a metal top cover. Don’t know the year..

I did find out my bigger partner is a R12 that’s 90 cc. Looks like a nice toy to play with. I don’t know where to get gaskets for the r12 I’d like to freshen it. It’s a clean saw.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...f682ea2bf360b2ea88256afd00125dac?OpenDocument

My partners 50 cc/55 cc have tons of compression figuring out the cc of the unmarked saws can be misleading. I purchased 9 new mesh air filters, today we took out some of my partners I have two new airfilters left. I didn’t know I still had that many in boxes, I did notice I have a partner 50 that looks a tad bigger than my 400. There brother and sister siblings in plastic. I do have an older R16 that has a metal top cover. Don’t know the year..

I did find out my bigger partner is a R12 that’s 90 cc. Looks like a nice toy to play with. I don’t know where to get gaskets for the r12 I’d like to freshen it. It’s a clean saw.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...f682ea2bf360b2ea88256afd00125dac?OpenDocument
Partner R12s are a mean looking saw.

Did you buy the air filters recently on ebay? Id like to have a spare or two for my saws. They have them, but in varying degrees of condition.

Back