PE Summit. Hard turning door latch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Pacific Energy Summit. Newly installed mid summer of 2018.

From day one, even before burning, the door latch is a little rough/tight. I assume it has brass parts that turn on each other so i would think it should not be rough.

Its a metal on metal roughness.

Iv been putting a drop of food grade oil on the latching surface (so it dosnt smell) and it helps for a few days. Then i tried an oil inside the rotating latch on the door. It REALLY helps for about a week. But it goes right back to being rough and not smooth feeling.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea sir. Is graphite safe on brass?

I assume so

Actually now that i think of it it is in anti seizing lube for reloading so it is safe for brass.

graphite is safe for all sorts of things they sell it at Ace as key lube for locks

although I like silicone for locks

Well silicone spray does NOT work. I used CRC brand that was supposed to be able to handle 400 degrees. It burns iff as soon as it touches the door latch[emoji23]

Ill keep using oil for now until i find graphite

Is your Summit an insert?

I have the freestanding Summit
and it has a knife edge/saddle type hinge that includes a small roller washer. Never had to use oil on it.
http://www.pacificenergy.net/products/wood/summit/summit/

If your stove is like mine, you might try bending the saddle latch a little, to loosen up the closing - the manual states this is the procedure to get the closing perfect. If you're uncertain about the door closing fully after loosening, use a dollar bill test. Place dollar bill in various locations where the gasket seals (when the fire is cold -lol). Close door and if the bill can be pulled out too easily then tap the hinge back a bit tighter. I've found mine to only need a gentle closing latch tension and it shuts and seals properly and easily.

Back