Pioneer Holiday 1100G

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I need a set of rings and they are hard to find. Does anyone know of an alternative to part number 471698? Everything looks fantastic but after replacing the seals and rebuilding the carburetor I couldn't get it started. Checked compression and it reads 90psi.

Thanks. Jason.

Depends if the pin is hidden behind the ring gap or sticking out.

Search eBay for chainsaw 46 mm rings.

.088-.098 is the ring end gap per the service manual. Not sure if that helps. I have not broke it down yet. When I read the compression I set it aside and moved on to the next one. I looked on ebay and the 028, 029, ms290 popped up. I have to do some more research but im hoping that will work.

Rule of thumb for ring gaps is .004” per inch of bore. The .088 sounds a bit much. Maybe .0088”

.088-.098 is the ring end gap per the service manual. Not sure if that helps. I have not broke it down yet. When I read the compression I set it aside and moved on to the next one. I looked on ebay and the 028, 029, ms290 popped up. I have to do some more research but im hoping that will work.

Rings for the Stihls will be notched for a horizontal locator pin. The locator pin on the Pioneer (and the other domestic brands of that era) have a vertical pin. You are left with using a small very fine file to square up the ends for the usual butt gap. .070” for a pin of .0625” diameter.

That looses a bit of compression but they run good anyway. [emoji106]

I double checked and the 1972 Pioneer service manual definitely says 0.088 - 0.098 . I suppose it could be a typo. This is new territory for me so lots to learn. That little hand file looks very handy just not sure I'll use it enough to off set cost. Cylinder bore nominal diameter is 1.8125 according to the manual.

So if im understanding correctly. The Stihl rings mentioned above will work after I file the ends flat. Is that correct?

Hello I'm new here.

I need some help with rings on my pioneer 1110 is that the same as the 1100 rings, tryed to find rings but can't so far

Ok so what is the rings I need
How are you shopping for rings? Looking for OEM ones will be very hit or miss as not a lot of old stock stuff still on the shelves. Rings are sold through places like Hastings and Caber that one needs to know the bore size and ring thickness for replacements. Finding Pioneer part number 471698 rings will be difficult , the one thing different between most replacement rings and older OEM rings is the ring ends are often different due to differing ring pin keepers in the pistons. Some older saws do not have pin keepers so they use square end cut rings, some older saws use a full land blocker ring pin that requires a larger gap between the ring ends. More modern pistons have the pins offset from the ring land allowing the rings to overlap the pin somewhat.

Just looking for rings that will work not a restoration just a runner the rings ends are flat and the pin is vertical type and is a two ring setup this is the first time I have been down to the block reason is I was doing a compression test and 30psi was all it made very low but some how ran I did look for oem set and nothing.

Is it possible to use the 1100 ring s a file the end gap down to fit the 1110
I have filed oversized rings down and they worked fine, have not done it on the models you mentioned but can not think where it would not work. You would need about 7-8 thou ring end clearance when done, measure ring end gap with the rings squared in the bore. Easily squared by pushing the rings up the bore with the piston inverted, try to get the rings up above the exhaust port where there is less cylinder wall wear.

Latest posts

Back