Pioneer/Partner P39 carb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guatay

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a p39 w/32" bar. Not ran for 10 years or so. First, checked for spark and fuel, opened top of carb, gasket seemed stuck so I put a little air to the inlet port on carb and gasket popped off, I hope there were no ck valves and springs under the gasket, I couldn't find any. Put gasket and top on carb, checked spark, weak spark, cleaned fly wheel and set air gap to10 to 12 thous. Got spark and got her started. Sharpened chain with my new Carlton elect sharpener, (Christmas present), and tried a cut on a oak log. Wouldn't come up to full rpm's, maybe half, and engine speed wouldn't stay constant. Would appreciate any help. Does anyone know where I can find a parts breakdown for the carb on line? Also is there any posts on carb adjustment that would work with my p39. It was my dads saw. Thanks a lot

I have a p39 w/32" bar. Not ran for 10 years or so. First, checked for spark and fuel, opened top of carb, gasket seemed stuck so I put a little air to the inlet port on carb and gasket popped off, I hope there were no ck valves and springs under the gasket, I couldn't find any. Put gasket and top on carb, checked spark, weak spark, cleaned fly wheel and set air gap to10 to 12 thous. Got spark and got her started. Sharpened chain with my new Carlton elect sharpener, (Christmas present), and tried a cut on a oak log. Wouldn't come up to full rpm's, maybe half, and engine speed wouldn't stay constant. Would appreciate any help. Does anyone know where I can find a parts breakdown for the carb on line? Also is there any posts on carb adjustment that would work with my p39. It was my dads saw. Thanks a lot

Generally that carb will need a carb kit and a thorough cleaning and not just a blow off with compressed air. New metering diaphragm and a new pump diaphragm with gaskets should do if you take out the needle valve, the high and low speed setting needles and soak the carb in carb cleaner overnight , clean the mating surfaces really well and all passages and ports. After all parts are spicky clean then wash them in coleman fuel,laquer thinner or any clean drying solvent and blow every thing dry with comp. air. Reassemble the carb carefully , set the needle valve metering lever to sit flush with the casting on either side and install the diaphragms and gaskets as they were origanally located, screw in the high and low setting needles carefully until they seat lightly, then back them out one full turn. Reinstall the carb with a new gasket between the carb and the spacer. If you are not really familiar with carb work it would be best to get someone with experience to do it for you but it is not rocket science for a mechanically inclined person to do. The fuel pick up and filter should be replaced even if there are no visible cracks as they are usually gummy and soft by that age.
Now you are ready to start it up and set the low and high speed and the throttle stop setting just to get it running. There are many good threads already posted on this site to cover setting the high and low speed setups.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Pioneer/Partner carb question

Thanks Jerry, I have several questions I hope you or someone else can help with. Under the top cover of the carb under the gasket, is there any thing between cover and body other than gasket? When I blew through the fuel inlet port the gasket popped off and I hope there was nothing else there that I blew off. I couldn't see any thing, but I was working on it out side, and could have lost unknown parts if there are any there. Do you know if there is any parts breakdown on the p39, I know you said there were threads on the carb adjustment, thanks. Also who carries the carb repair kit? I sure appreciate your help, I posted last night and wondered if there were any "PIONEER GUYS' out there and what great help you have been. This is my second topical post, what a great web site! Thanks again Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I have several questions I hope you or someone else can help with. Under the top cover of the carb under the gasket, is there any thing between cover and body other than gasket? When I blew through the fuel inlet port the gasket popped off and I hope there was nothing else there that I blew off. I couldn't see any thing, but I was working on it out side, and could have lost unknown parts if there are any there. Do you know if there is any parts breakdown on the p39, I know you said there were threads on the carb adjustment, thanks. Also who carries the carb repair kit? I sure appreciate your help, I posted last night and wondered if there were any "PIONEER GUYS' out there and what great help you have been. This is my second topical post, what a great web site! Thanks again Jerry

Ok it looks like you probably have a Walbro WJ-9 Series carb on your saw and the kits are available , Iwill send you a PM as it is frowned upon to give sellers and dealers names and addresses on this site.No you should not have lost any parts to your carb when you blew it out. I am looking for a down loadable diagram for this carb.

pioneer/partner carb question

Thanks for the info Jerry. Do you know if this saw has enough power to run a 32 inch bar? Thats what is on it. My brother said my dad use to run it with the 32, and it worked good, but the info I seem to find says the biggest is a 24 inch? Thanks again for all your help, I'm on a great learning curve.

Thanks for the info Jerry. Do you know if this saw has enough power to run a 32 inch bar? Thats what is on it. My brother said my dad use to run it with the 32, and it worked good, but the info I seem to find says the biggest is a 24 inch? Thanks again for all your help, I'm on a great learning curve.

Hi; The longest bar recommended is a 24 inch but they use full chisel type chain when the recomendation is stated. You could run the 32 inch bar but you should use skip tooth chain and full chisel type of cutters if you can find it in your area. Also I do not know what type of wood you intend to cut. Is it really hard or dry which makes the saw work hard or a softer type of wood , these factors will determine what bar length and chain type to be used. I will check around for piston rings and get back to you. Pioneerguy600

Pioneer/partner carb question

Thanks Jerry. The wood I have been cutting is oak. I have about 30-40 dead oak on my property The seasoned oak seems to be a lot tougher to cut than the unseasoned. I cut about half of each. I'll do some searching for the rings. Thanks again !!

Back